* [nnimap gmail] confused by phenomena
@ 2013-05-22 10:58 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2013-05-22 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been reading some gmail imap groups for a yr or so.
Yesterday I added a new one.  Today the new groups showed up but they
contain all the mail of the wrong account.

From ~/.gnu:

<This one has been in use for a year>
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "hputnam3"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

<this one was added yesterday>
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                       '(nnimap "harrygp3"
                    (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

The accounts have different names and different passwords.  They are
listed in .authinfo like so:

(passwords obfuscated)

machine imap.gmail.com login hputnam3@gmail.com password xxxxxxxx port imap
machine imap.gmail.com login harrygp3@gmail.com password xxxxxxxx port imap

When I ran gnus, it had pickup all of hputnam3 imap mail and placed
it in groups named harrygp3.  In other words it had retrieved all the
wrong mail for the newly added imap account.

I noticed that the passwords while different were only different by
case. (PAssword and password), so I thought that might be the
reason.

I went to gmail and changed the password of harrygp3 so it was
different by an actual char... an underscore, then  changed the lines
in .authinfo.  I then stripped out all reference to harrygp3 from
.newsrc.eld (with gnus closed) and started gnus again.

However it still retrieves all of hputnam3 mail and places it in
harrygp3 groups.

Gack... now what?