* Re: Agent in batch mode for imap
       [not found]     ` <877gng5bry.fsf@free.fr>
@ 2013-01-14 22:08       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-01-14 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

[...]

> - imap with splitting + gnus-agent : every unread mail on the
> server
>   gets a duplicate in the Summary buffer every time the agent
>   fetchs when gnus runs unplugged. This duplicate disappears
>   with C-g in the Summary buffer when running gnus plugged.
>
> Is there a reason why splitting shouldn't be used when agent
> fetching ?  Are some of you successfully using the agent in this
> manner ?

I use gnus + agent + splitting with no problem.  The only
difference I can see between what you are doing and what I do is
that the final destination in the split rules, in my case, is
*not* INBOX but another group ("general", in my case).  Maybe
there is some confusion about splitting from INBOX into INBOX when
the agent comes into play?

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.6

* Re: Agent in batch mode for imap
@ 2013-01-15 22:04         ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-01-15 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I use gnus + agent + splitting with no problem.  The only difference I
> can see between what you are doing and what I do is that the final
> destination in the split rules, in my case, is *not* INBOX but another
> group ("general", in my case).  Maybe there is some confusion about
> splitting from INBOX into INBOX when the agent comes into play?

I came to the same conclusion by removing this last rule of
nnimap-fancy-split (the catchall "INBOX") altogether puts all non split
messages in a new group (named "UNKNOWN") and the agent doesn't show
duplicates in "INBOX" anymore.

I guess the agent confuses itself when it splits a message to the same
group it splitted it from and counts it twice. Looks like a bug ?

* Re: Agent in batch mode for imap
@ 2013-01-16  0:42           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-01-16  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I guess the agent confuses itself when it splits a message to
> the same group it splitted it from and counts it twice. Looks
> like a bug ?

Whether it's a bug or not, it is rather inefficient as you will be
processing any such messages over and over again!  Seems cleaner
to split to elsewhere regardless.

--

@ 2013-01-16 13:42             ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-01-16 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:
>
>> I guess the agent confuses itself when it splits a message to the
>> same group it splitted it from and counts it twice. Looks like a
>> bug ?
>
> Whether it's a bug or not, it is rather inefficient as you will be
> processing any such messages over and over again!  Seems cleaner to
> split to elsewhere regardless.

You're right, but I've been using this inefficient process for a while
now and only recently switched to running unplugged so It took me a
while to notice this behaviour.