* gnus-warp-to-article broken in latest version of Gnus?
@ 2012-07-22 22:28 Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2012-07-22 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Been trying to use `A W' as per the info on jumping to the "real" group
of an article in a nnir buffer (generated from a Gmail IMAP search)

No worky :-(

Does this work for others?
--
Matt

* Re: gnus-warp-to-article broken in latest version of Gnus?
@ 2012-07-23  6:15 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-07-23  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Ford; +Cc: ding

Matt Ford <matt@dancingfrog.co.uk> writes:

Hi Matt,

> Been trying to use `A W' as per the info on jumping to the "real"
> group of an article in a nnir buffer (generated from a Gmail IMAP
> search)
>
> No worky :-(
>
> Does this work for others?

Yes, works for me with Ma Gnus updated five minutes ago.  What's wrong
exactly?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus-warp-to-article broken in latest version of Gnus?
@ 2012-07-23  7:31   ` Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2012-07-23  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Tassilo,

I create a nnir group by doing GG on a IMAP group and writing a suitable
query.

Putting a trace on the `gnus-warp-to-article' function I see that the
code never executes as `(gnus-virtual-group-p gnus-newsgroup-name)'
returns nil for the nnir group.

So for whatever reason the nnir group is not considered virtual - is
that correct?

Changing the predicate check to `t' makes things work as a dirty hack.
--

@ 2012-07-23  7:59     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-07-23  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Ford; +Cc: ding

Matt Ford <matt@dancingfrog.co.uk> writes:

Hi Matt,

> I create a nnir group by doing GG on a IMAP group and writing a
> suitable query.

Ditto.

> Putting a trace on the `gnus-warp-to-article' function I see that the
> code never executes as `(gnus-virtual-group-p gnus-newsgroup-name)'
> returns nil for the nnir group.

Just edebugged that function, and here the call above returns (virtual)
for nnir groups.

> So for whatever reason the nnir group is not considered virtual - is
> that correct?

No, at least I get a different result.

> Changing the predicate check to `t' makes things work as a dirty hack.

Can it be that you aren't running the very recent Ma Gnus version?  It's
HEAD commit is

commit c54845f946c28e8361dc77fb09a873d72b69f967
Author: Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu>
Date:   Sun Jul 22 19:50:05 2012 -0400

    nnir: Add 'virtual ability to nnir backend.

which seems to deal exactly with your issue.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus-warp-to-article broken in latest version of Gnus?
@ 2012-07-23  8:01     ` Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2012-07-23  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tracking it down further we have:

gnus-valid-select-methods looks like this

(("nntp" post address prompt-address physical-address)
 ("nnspool" post address)
 ("nnvirtual" post-mail virtual prompt-address)
 ("nnmbox" mail respool address)

[...]

 ("nnir" mail))

 The "nnir" does not contain the symbol virtual so the predicate check
 will never work.  AFAIK I don't mess with this alist - and in my
 version of gnus.el it not part of the default alist setting it must get
 added later.

--

@ 2012-07-23 10:00       ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2012-07-23 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

You are both right :). I just pushed the fix a few hours ago, and
Tassilo must be slightly more up to date. Matt, if you can do a new pull
that should fix it.

Sorry it took me so long to get to this.