* agentised gmail gives wrong count in group buffer
@ 2011-07-06 15:15 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-07-06 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I have recently decided to agentise my gmail group.  I use the gnus
agent for my work email and it works (generally) fine.  With gmail, I
find that the group buffer shows my inbox as having 28000+ emails!  This
could actually be the number of emails in my gmail/All Mail folder but
definitely not in my inbox folder.

If I enter the group and ask it to display all the old messages, I get a
reasonable number of messages (in the tens of messages).  I "archive"
(in gmail itself) and/or "expire" (in gnus) quite aggresively.  Leaving
the group does not cause the number shown in the group buffer to correct
itself.  Neither does M-g on that group in the group buffer.

My previous use of gmail, without the gnus agent, always gave correct
numbers for unread and new messages.

Is there some configuration I need to tweak to get gnus to display the
correct number?

I'm running a very recent (this morning's) version of gnus from git.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.18

* Re: agentised gmail gives wrong count in group buffer
@ 2011-07-06 16:05 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hello,
>
> I have recently decided to agentise my gmail group.  I use the gnus
> agent for my work email and it works (generally) fine.  With gmail, I
> find that the group buffer shows my inbox as having 28000+ emails!  This
> could actually be the number of emails in my gmail/All Mail folder but
> definitely not in my inbox folder.
>
> If I enter the group and ask it to display all the old messages, I get a
> reasonable number of messages (in the tens of messages).  I "archive"
> (in gmail itself) and/or "expire" (in gnus) quite aggresively.  Leaving
> the group does not cause the number shown in the group buffer to correct
> itself.  Neither does M-g on that group in the group buffer.
>
> My previous use of gmail, without the gnus agent, always gave correct
> numbers for unread and new messages.
>
> Is there some configuration I need to tweak to get gnus to display the
> correct number?
>
> I'm running a very recent (this morning's) version of gnus from git.

Hopefully linked with the issue I have mentioned numerous times about
multiple agentised gmail accounts  - they all show the same (wrong)
count.

Set up :

   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                '(nnimap "riley"
                         (nnir-search-engine imap)
                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                         ))
   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                '(nnimap "shamrockpub"
                         (nnir-search-engine imap)
                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                         ))

   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                '(nnimap "friends"
                         (nnir-search-engine imap)
                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                         ))

where riley,shamrock and friends all identify a unique authinfo line for
authentication.

* Re: agentised gmail gives wrong count in group buffer
@ 2011-07-06 19:25   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-07-06 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have recently decided to agentise my gmail group.  I use the gnus
>> agent for my work email and it works (generally) fine.  With gmail, I
>> find that the group buffer shows my inbox as having 28000+ emails!  This
>> could actually be the number of emails in my gmail/All Mail folder but
>> definitely not in my inbox folder.

[...]

> Hopefully linked with the issue I have mentioned numerous times about
> multiple agentised gmail accounts  - they all show the same (wrong)
> count.

One more data point: from my home system, I get gnus now telling me that
I have 101 unread/new emails in my gmail folder, not 28000+!  This
number is closer to the actual number of emails, both old and new, in
that folder which is an improvement of sorts...

The strange thing is that both home and office systems have the same
configuration, same cache, same agent, etc as the two systems are kept
in sync with unison!  Mind you, gnus was updated at least once today so
the versions actually used on the two systems may have been different...

--

@ 2011-07-06 20:21     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-06 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have recently decided to agentise my gmail group.  I use the gnus
>>> agent for my work email and it works (generally) fine.  With gmail, I
>>> find that the group buffer shows my inbox as having 28000+ emails!  This
>>> could actually be the number of emails in my gmail/All Mail folder but
>>> definitely not in my inbox folder.
>
> [...]
>
>> Hopefully linked with the issue I have mentioned numerous times about
>> multiple agentised gmail accounts  - they all show the same (wrong)
>> count.
>
> One more data point: from my home system, I get gnus now telling me that
> I have 101 unread/new emails in my gmail folder, not 28000+!  This
> number is closer to the actual number of emails, both old and new, in
> that folder which is an improvement of sorts...

I'm not sure and cant test now but I'm pretty sure 101 is the number I
kept getting too. I posted it numerous times I think so wont clutter
here with it again.

* Re: agentised gmail gives wrong count in group buffer
@ 2011-07-07  8:45       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-07-07  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

>> [...]
>>
>>> Hopefully linked with the issue I have mentioned numerous times about
>>> multiple agentised gmail accounts  - they all show the same (wrong)
>>> count.
>>
>> One more data point: from my home system, I get gnus now telling me that
>> I have 101 unread/new emails in my gmail folder, not 28000+!  This
>> number is closer to the actual number of emails, both old and new, in
>> that folder which is an improvement of sorts...
>
> I'm not sure and cant test now but I'm pretty sure 101 is the number I
> kept getting too. I posted it numerous times I think so wont clutter
> here with it again.

Yes, it does seem to be a generic value...

In any case, I have had to un-agentise my gmail server as it wasn't
picking up any new emails that google was automatically tagging with
other labels.  So emails that, from google's point of view, would appear
in INBOX as well as another "folder" simultaneously were being ignored
by gnus.  Not sure why.  Very strange.  Then again, google does do some
rather non-standard things from what I can tell.  It's imap but not as
we know it... ;-)

--

@ 2011-07-07  9:30         ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-07-07  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> One more data point: from my home system, I get gnus now telling me that
>>> I have 101 unread/new emails in my gmail folder, not 28000+!  This
>>> number is closer to the actual number of emails, both old and new, in
>>> that folder which is an improvement of sorts...
>>
>> I'm not sure and cant test now but I'm pretty sure 101 is the number I
>> kept getting too. I posted it numerous times I think so wont clutter
>> here with it again.
>>

> Yes, it does seem to be a generic value...
>
> In any case, I have had to un-agentise my gmail server as it wasn't
> picking up any new emails that google was automatically tagging with
> other labels.  So emails that, from google's point of view, would appear
> in INBOX as well as another "folder" simultaneously were being ignored
> by gnus.  Not sure why.  Very strange.  Then again, google does do some
> rather non-standard things from what I can tell.  It's imap but not as
> we know it... ;-)

Iz works fine with other clients I use. The error is in gnus/agent I
think.

* Re: agentised gmail gives wrong count in group buffer
@ 2011-07-07  9:45           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-07-07  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

[...]

>> by gnus.  Not sure why.  Very strange.  Then again, google does do some
>> rather non-standard things from what I can tell.  It's imap but not as
>> we know it... ;-)
>
> Iz works fine with other clients I use. The error is in gnus/agent I
> think.

well, maybe, but gnus/agent works fine with the "regular" imap servers
that I use daily.  only with gmail do problems/idiosyncrasies arise...

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.18