* disable 'b' in Group buffer?
@ 2008-10-17 14:04 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2008-10-17 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

My clumsy fingers hit 'b' in the Group buffer at least once a day, so I
sit there waiting for gnus to check once again for bogus groups, which
there ain't any.  Is there a way I can keep the 'b' key from running
gnus-group-check-bogus-groups?  Something I can put in my ~/.gnus?  It
seems to be defined here, but I don't know how to get hold of it and
disable 'b' only for the Group buffer:

,----[ gnus-group.el ]
| (gnus-define-keys gnus-group-mode-map
|   " " gnus-group-read-group
| [...]
|   "b" gnus-group-check-bogus-groups
| [...]
`----

Thanks -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wolfram.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: disable 'b' in Group buffer?
@ 2008-10-17 14:39 ` Andreas Seltenreich
From: Andreas Seltenreich @ 2008-10-17 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bill White writes:

> My clumsy fingers hit 'b' in the Group buffer at least once a day, so I
> sit there waiting for gnus to check once again for bogus groups, which
> there ain't any.  Is there a way I can keep the 'b' key from running
> gnus-group-check-bogus-groups?

I usually set the `disabled' property on commands I repeatedly used by
accident.

,----[ ~/.emacs ]
| (put 'gnus-group-kill-region 'disabled t)
| (put 'gnus-topic-indent 'disabled t)
| ;; etc.
`----

regards,
andreas

* Re: disable 'b' in Group buffer?
@ 2008-10-17 16:33   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-10-17 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[ The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that has
  been posted to news:gmane.emacs.gnus.general as well. ]

On Fri, Oct 17 2008, Andreas Seltenreich wrote:

> Bill White writes:
>> My clumsy fingers hit 'b' in the Group buffer at least once a day, [...]
>> Is there a way I can keep the 'b' key from running
>> gnus-group-check-bogus-groups?

(define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "b") nil)

> I usually set the `disabled' property on commands I repeatedly used by
> accident.
>
> ,----[ ~/.emacs ]
> | (put 'gnus-group-kill-region 'disabled t)
> | (put 'gnus-topic-indent 'disabled t)
> | ;; etc.
> `----

But that disables all binding, including M-x ... RET, menu, etc.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: disable 'b' in Group buffer?
@ 2008-10-18  0:25   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2008-10-18  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri Oct 17 2008 at 09:39, Andreas Seltenreich <andreas+ding@gate450.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Bill White writes:
>
>> My clumsy fingers hit 'b' in the Group buffer at least once a day, so I
>> sit there waiting for gnus to check once again for bogus groups, which
>> there ain't any.  Is there a way I can keep the 'b' key from running
>> gnus-group-check-bogus-groups?
>
> I usually set the `disabled' property on commands I repeatedly used by
> accident.

Thank you!  That works well, and I still have the option to check for
bogus groups if I really want to.

Here's the documentation: (info "(emacs) Disabling")

Cheers -

bw
--

@ 2008-10-18  0:27     ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2008-10-18  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri Oct 17 2008 at 11:33, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

> [ The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that has
>   been posted to news:gmane.emacs.gnus.general as well. ]
>
> On Fri, Oct 17 2008, Andreas Seltenreich wrote:
>
>> Bill White writes:
>>> My clumsy fingers hit 'b' in the Group buffer at least once a day, [...]
>>> Is there a way I can keep the 'b' key from running
>>> gnus-group-check-bogus-groups?
>
> (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "b") nil)
>
>> I usually set the `disabled' property on commands I repeatedly used by
>> accident.
>>
>> ,----[ ~/.emacs ]
>> | (put 'gnus-group-kill-region 'disabled t)
>> | (put 'gnus-topic-indent 'disabled t)
>> | ;; etc.
>> `----
>
> But that disables all binding, including M-x ... RET, menu, etc.

I didn't realize that.  That's OK in my case since I rarely, if ever,
need to check for bogus groups, but I'll think twice before using this
as an all-purpose hammer.

Thanks -

bw