* where do messages from daemons go?
@ 2006-12-01 15:25 Sebastian P. Luque
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2006-12-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I had activated a daemon to collect mail for some time by including this
in ~/.gnus.el:

(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail 720 nil)

and could verify that messages were being collected, as a short notice was
appearing briefly in the minibuffer and can see the corresponding files
with names like "Incoming160267qk" being created.  However, the messages
do not appear in any of my groups, although a "%" appears next to the
groups were they should be.  Entering those groups in any way doesn't show
the new messages.  These messages do not seem to go to the bogus group
neither.  Can somebody please point out what might be going on?  Thanks in
advance.

Cheers,

--
Seb

* Re: where do messages from daemons go?
@ 2006-12-01 15:59 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-12-01 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On  1 Dec 2006, spluque@gmail.com wrote:

> I had activated a daemon to collect mail for some time by including this
> in ~/.gnus.el:
>

> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail 720 nil)
>

> and could verify that messages were being collected, as a short notice was
> appearing briefly in the minibuffer and can see the corresponding files
> with names like "Incoming160267qk" being created.  However, the messages
> do not appear in any of my groups, although a "%" appears next to the
> groups were they should be.  Entering those groups in any way doesn't show
> the new messages.  These messages do not seem to go to the bogus group
> neither.  Can somebody please point out what might be going on?  Thanks in
> advance.

So M-g on a % group doesn't change the article counts?

Check the *Messages* buffer, there may be some information there.

Looks to me like gnus-demon-scan-mail in gnus-demon.el doesn't do
anything unusual:

(defun gnus-demon-scan-mail ()
  (save-window-excursion
    (let ((servers gnus-opened-servers)
	  server
	  (nnmail-fetched-sources (list t)))
      (while (setq server (car (pop servers)))
	(and (gnus-check-backend-function 'request-scan (car server))
	     (or (gnus-server-opened server)
		 (gnus-open-server server))
	     (gnus-request-scan nil server))))))

Ted

* Re: where do messages from daemons go?
@ 2006-12-01 17:15   ` Sebastian P. Luque
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2006-12-01 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:59:58 +0000,
Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

[...]

> So M-g on a % group doesn't change the article counts?

> Check the *Messages* buffer, there may be some information there.

Thank you Ted.  I noticed these lines in that buffer:

nnfolder: Reading incoming mail from file... [3 times]
spam-split: calling the spam-check-bogofilter function [2 times]
Saving file /home/sluque/News/sent/mail/misc...
Wrote /home/sluque/News/sent/mail/misc
nnfolder: Reading incoming mail (2 new)...done

I verified that all these messages were getting sent to the
/home/sluque/News/sent/mail/misc file, but this doesn't explain why the
groups where they should've gone were being marked "%".  I have the
following to set the different places where messages should go:

(setq message-directory "~/News/mail"
      mail-source-directory "~/News/mail"
      ;; how and where to store sent messages
      gnus-message-archive-method
      '(nnfolder "archive"
	     (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)
	     (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
	     (nnfolder-active-file "~/News/sent/active")
	     (nnfolder-directory "~/News/sent/"))
      ;; sort sent mail and news into different groups
      gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p)
	    "sent-news"
	  (concat "sent-" (format-time-string "%m-%Y"))))
      message-auto-save-directory "~/News/drafts")

so I don't understand how those messages ended up as nnfolder.  Any
further ideas most welcome.

Cheers,

--

@ 2006-12-01 18:09     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-12-01 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On  1 Dec 2006, spluque@gmail.com wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:59:58 +0000,
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> So M-g on a % group doesn't change the article counts?
>
>> Check the *Messages* buffer, there may be some information there.
>
> Thank you Ted.  I noticed these lines in that buffer:
>

> nnfolder: Reading incoming mail from file... [3 times]
> spam-split: calling the spam-check-bogofilter function [2 times]
> Saving file /home/sluque/News/sent/mail/misc...
> Wrote /home/sluque/News/sent/mail/misc
> nnfolder: Reading incoming mail (2 new)...done
>

> I verified that all these messages were getting sent to the
> /home/sluque/News/sent/mail/misc file, but this doesn't explain why the
> groups where they should've gone were being marked "%".  I have the
> following to set the different places where messages should go:
>

> (setq message-directory "~/News/mail"
> mail-source-directory "~/News/mail"
> ;; how and where to store sent messages
> gnus-message-archive-method
> '(nnfolder "archive"
> 	     (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)
> 	     (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
> 	     (nnfolder-active-file "~/News/sent/active")
> 	     (nnfolder-directory "~/News/sent/"))
> ;; sort sent mail and news into different groups
> gnus-message-archive-group
> '((if (message-news-p)
> 	    "sent-news"
> 	  (concat "sent-" (format-time-string "%m-%Y"))))
> message-auto-save-directory "~/News/drafts")
>

> so I don't understand how those messages ended up as nnfolder.  Any
> further ideas most welcome.

I don't know much about this functionality, so I can't answer your
question well.  I use IMAP and NNTP mostly, so I haven't had to use
nnfolder delivery options as you do.  My guess is that
gnus-request-scan, which is called by gnus-demon-scan-mail directly,
is wrapped by lots of other code when you use `g'
(gnus-group-get-new-news in gnus-group.el).  gnus-group-get-new-news
is huge and runs hooks, etc.

Ted

* Re: where do messages from daemons go?
@ 2006-12-01 18:28       ` Sebastian P. Luque
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2006-12-01 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:09:32 +0000,
Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

[...]

> I don't know much about this functionality, so I can't answer your
> question well.  I use IMAP and NNTP mostly, so I haven't had to use
> nnfolder delivery options as you do.  My guess is that
> gnus-request-scan, which is called by gnus-demon-scan-mail directly, is
> wrapped by lots of other code when you use `g' (gnus-group-get-new-news
> in gnus-group.el).  gnus-group-get-new-news is huge and runs hooks, etc.

Thanks.  I'll probably abandon using this demon and just let fetchmail
collect the mail in /var/mail/myuser until I retrieve it manually with 'g'
into gnus.

Could somebody please suggest how to recover the "lost" incoming messages
that ended up in /home/sluque/News/sent/mail/misc ?  Thanks again.

--
Seb