* nnir.el?
@ 2004-09-09 15:05 Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-09-09 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I forget, can someone remind me why nnir.el is in contrib/ and not
lisp/?

I recall discussing how to implement searching The Right Way, but
nothing came out that.  And nnir.el, despite whatever limitations it
might have, is useful for many people including me.  So why not move
it to lisp/, and describe how it works in the manual?  If nobody
object, I'll do it.

* Re: nnir.el?
@ 2004-09-09 16:49 ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2004-09-09 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Simon,

> I forget, can someone remind me why nnir.el is in contrib/ and not
> lisp/?

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nnir.el+contrib&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=m365ing5pu.fsf%40quimbies.gnus.org&rnum=4>

...might give a hint.

Herzliche Grüße,
  Christoph
--
"[...] denn es ist die Sprache, die den Strom der Zeit anhält. Es
existiert keine Statik, es gibt keine Endgültigkeit des Anfangs und des

* Re: nnir.el?
@ 2004-09-09 17:08   ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2004-09-09 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

That explains why it's not in 5.10 but surely No Gnus is not in a
feature freeze.  Is there any reason not to move it out of contrib
now?
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: nnir.el?
@ 2004-09-09 17:51 ` Reiner Steib
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-09-09 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 09 2004, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> I forget, can someone remind me why nnir.el is in contrib/ and not
> lisp/?

I vaguely remember something about missing or unclear copyright
assignments.  But Kai or Christoph should know more.

> I recall discussing how to implement searching The Right Way, but
> nothing came out that.  And nnir.el, despite whatever limitations it
> might have, is useful for many people including me.

One thing that has bitten me was that it requires expanded file names
which makes it harder when using the same configuration on different
accounts (~/Mail may expand to different values).

> So why not move it to lisp/, and describe how it works in the
> manual?  If nobody object, I'll do it.

Fine.

According to some discussion on emacs-devel, we should remove the
non-free search engines such as glimpse because there are free
alternatives, IIRC.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: nnir.el?
@ 2004-09-09 19:45   ` Christoph Conrad
       [not found]   ` <v9fz5r1gbo.fsf-WZbs9ZYJ0ya4nSHvGpykACzlmkwuQ7VwhC4ANOJQIlc@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2004-09-09 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Großjohann

Hi Reiner,

> I vaguely remember something about missing or unclear copyright
> assignments. But Kai or Christoph should know more.

I also vaguely remember that now. But as far as I'm concerned i've
signed the papers from the FSF some years ago, and Kai surely did that
also. [CC to Kai]

Herzliche Grüße,
  Christoph
--

@ 2004-09-09 19:47     ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2004-09-09 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

> That explains why it's not in 5.10 but surely No Gnus is not in a
> feature freeze.

I mean't: That could be the reason that Kai put it into "contrib" at
that time.

> Is there any reason not to move it out of contrib now?

I don't know one.

Herzliche Grüße,
  Christoph
--

@ 2004-09-10 15:16     ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2004-09-10 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:51:23 +0200 Reiner Steib wrote:

Reiner> One thing that has bitten me was that it requires expanded
Reiner> file names which makes it harder when using the same
Reiner> configuration on different accounts (~/Mail may expand to
Reiner> different values).

Isn't (expand-file-name "~/Mail") enough?

,----[ C-h f expand-file-name RET ]
| expand-file-name is a built-in function.
| (expand-file-name NAME &optional DEFAULT-DIRECTORY)
|
| Convert filename NAME to absolute, and canonicalize it.
| Second arg DEFAULT-DIRECTORY is directory to start with if NAME is relative
|  (does not start with slash); if DEFAULT-DIRECTORY is nil or missing,
| the current buffer's value of default-directory is used.
| File name components that are `.' are removed, and
| so are file name components followed by `..', along with the `..' itself;
| note that these simplifications are done without checking the resulting
| file names in the file system.
| An initial `~/' expands to your home directory.
| An initial `~USER/' expands to USER's home directory.
| See also the function `substitute-in-file-name'.
`----

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: nnir.el?
       [not found]   ` <v9fz5r1gbo.fsf-WZbs9ZYJ0ya4nSHvGpykACzlmkwuQ7VwhC4ANOJQIlc@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-09-11 17:24   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-09-11 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 09 2004, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> I forget, can someone remind me why nnir.el is in contrib/ and not
>> lisp/?
>
> I vaguely remember something about missing or unclear copyright
> assignments.  But Kai or Christoph should know more.

Kai is mentioned in copyright.list, but I also recall some problem
with copyright assignments in German.

>> I recall discussing how to implement searching The Right Way, but
>> nothing came out that.  And nnir.el, despite whatever limitations it
>> might have, is useful for many people including me.
>
> One thing that has bitten me was that it requires expanded file names
> which makes it harder when using the same configuration on different
> accounts (~/Mail may expand to different values).

For what variable?  Just replace VAR with (expand-file-name VAR)
throughout the code.

> According to some discussion on emacs-devel, we should remove the
> non-free search engines such as glimpse because there are free
> alternatives, IIRC.

Ah, right, that's a good point.  In my partisan view, we should make
IMAP the default method, too, since I believe it is the only one
search backend that work without additional configuration or external
programs.  Kai?

* Re: nnir.el?
@ 2004-09-11 18:16     ` Josh
From: Josh @ 2004-09-11 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ah, right, that's a good point.  In my partisan view, we should
> make IMAP the default method, too, since I believe it is the
> only one search backend that work without additional
> configuration or external programs.  Kai?

Heh, I agree with that, but I may be biased ;)

* Re: nnir.el?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-10-23 20:54   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-10-23 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 09 2004, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> I forget, can someone remind me why nnir.el is in contrib/ and not
>> lisp/?
>
> I vaguely remember something about missing or unclear copyright
> assignments.  But Kai or Christoph should know more.

I once thought that there were other changes, but it turned out that
Christoph was so productive that I thought he was three people ;-)

Since Christoph and me both have the paperwork, it would be possible
to incorporate nnir.el into the mainstream.

However, I confess that I'm not that happy with nnir.el.  The
infrastructure sucks, especially regarding all the parameters that you
have to set up.  gnus-namazu.el manages to do things without any
configuration.

And then, it should support searching across servers, but for this one
would need to specify a common query language and then translate that
into the query language of each backend.  (Of course, there should be
a way to pass the query to the backend literally, for those cases
where only one backend is involved.)

That said, I don't want to denigrate people of something they find
useful.

Kai