* Weird infinite (?) loop when entering newsgroup
@ 2004-05-21 22:24 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-05-21 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just starting using Gnus 5.10.6 (is this group the appropriate
place to post bug reports for older versions?), and when I try to enter
the newgroup "comp.emacs", it never seems to succeed, instead printing
out an infinite series of messages; I think I've succesfully entered
that newsgroup using 5.10.6 before (yesterday :-) though.

Here are the messages:

   Retrieving newsgroup: comp.emacs...
   Fetching headers for comp.emacs...
   Created backup copy of overview in /home/miles/.gnus/agent/nntp/nnrp.gol.com/comp/emacs/.overview~6~.
   Overview buffer not sorted!
   Finding sort keys...
   Sorting records...
   Reordering buffer... Done
   Overview buffer not sorted!
   Finding sort keys...
   Sorting records...
   Reordering buffer... Done
   Overview buffer not sorted!
   Finding sort keys...
   Sorting records...
   Reordering buffer... Done
   Overview buffer not sorted!
   Finding sort keys...
   Sorting records...
   Reordering buffer... Done
   Overview buffer not sorted!
   Finding sort keys...
   Sorting records...
...ad nauseum...

[Not sure if I should include the .overview file -- it's about 50KB
compressed.]

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)

* Re: Weird infinite (?) loop when entering newsgroup
@ 2004-05-21 23:21 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-05-21 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> I've just starting using Gnus 5.10.6 (is this group the appropriate
> place to post bug reports for older versions?),

Yes.

> and when I try to enter
> the newgroup "comp.emacs", it never seems to succeed, instead printing
> out an infinite series of messages; I think I've succesfully entered
> that newsgroup using 5.10.6 before (yesterday :-) though.
>
> Here are the messages:
>
>    Retrieving newsgroup: comp.emacs...
>    Fetching headers for comp.emacs...
>    Created backup copy of overview in /home/miles/.gnus/agent/nntp/nnrp.gol.com/comp/emacs/.overview~6~.
>    Overview buffer not sorted!
>    Finding sort keys...
>    Sorting records...
>    Reordering buffer... Done
>    Overview buffer not sorted!
>    Finding sort keys...
>    Sorting records...
>    Reordering buffer... Done
>    Overview buffer not sorted!
>    Finding sort keys...
>    Sorting records...
>    Reordering buffer... Done
>    Overview buffer not sorted!
>    Finding sort keys...
>    Sorting records...
>    Reordering buffer... Done
>    Overview buffer not sorted!
>    Finding sort keys...
>    Sorting records...
> ...ad nauseum...
>
> [Not sure if I should include the .overview file -- it's about 50KB
> compressed.]
>
> Any ideas?

Haven't seen anything like this in a long time.  Please email the
.overview file to me.  It shouldn't take long to figure out what is
wrong.  Most likely your server garbled one or more of the headers.
Code exists to remove such problems but it must be missing something.

Kevin

* Re: Weird infinite (?) loop when entering newsgroup
@ 2004-05-22  2:00   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-05-22  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
> Haven't seen anything like this in a long time.  Please email the
> .overview file to me.

I sent you the .overview by email, but haven't gotten my BCC yet; let me
know if you _don't_ get it -- I've noticed that lately whenever I send
email with a large attachment, it can take ages to arrive, so I presume
some sort of idiot virus filtering is screwing with things.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!

* Re: Weird infinite (?) loop when entering newsgroup
@ 2004-06-24 20:57 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2004-06-24 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> I've just starting using Gnus 5.10.6 (is this group the appropriate
> place to post bug reports for older versions?), and when I try to
> enter the newgroup "comp.emacs", it never seems to succeed, instead
> printing out an infinite series of messages; I think I've
> succesfully entered that newsgroup using 5.10.6 before (yesterday
> :-) though.

For what it's worth, I have the same trouble here when entering
comp.lang.scheme.

  Finding sort keys...
  Sorting records...
  Reordering buffer... Done
  Overview buffer contains garbage ' <xcgisnuy7gd.fsf@mansfield.emba.uvm.edu>'.
  Overview buffer contains garbage ' <3f660e04$0$2839$80265adb@spool.cs.wisc.edu>	5637	111	Xref: intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com comp.lang.scheme:44310'.
  Overview buffer contains garbage ' <m3n0ci1a58.fsf@snoopy.treese.org>	17925	326	Xref: intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com comp.lang.scheme:45042'.
  Overview buffer contains garbage ' <3f6526a1$0$2840$80265adb@spool.cs.wisc.edu>'.
  Overview buffer contains garbage ' <xcgisnuy7gd.fsf@mansfield.emba.uvm.edu>'.
  Overview buffer contains garbage ' <3f660e04$0$2839$80265adb@spool.cs.wisc.edu>	5637	111	Xref: intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com comp.lang.scheme:44310'.
  Overview buffer contains garbage ' <xcgisnuy7gd.fsf@mansfield.emba.uvm.edu>'.
  Overview buffer contains garbage ' <3f660e04$0$2839$80265adb@spool.cs.wisc.edu>	5637	111	Xref: intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com comp.lang.scheme:44310'.
  Overview buffer contains garbage ' <m3n0ci1a58.fsf@snoopy.treese.org>	17925	326	Xref: intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com comp.lang.scheme:45042'.
  Overview buffer not sorted!
  Finding sort keys...
  Sorting records...
  Reordering buffer... Done

This segment repeats indefinitely.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu

* Re: Weird infinite (?) loop when entering newsgroup
@ 2004-06-25  4:44   ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-06-25  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

> Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I've just starting using Gnus 5.10.6 (is this group the appropriate
>> place to post bug reports for older versions?), and when I try to
>> enter the newgroup "comp.emacs", it never seems to succeed, instead
>> printing out an infinite series of messages; I think I've
>> succesfully entered that newsgroup using 5.10.6 before (yesterday
>> :-) though.
>
> For what it's worth, I have the same trouble here when entering
> comp.lang.scheme.
>
>   Finding sort keys...
>   Sorting records...
>   Reordering buffer... Done
>   Overview buffer contains garbage ' <xcgisnuy7gd.fsf@mansfield.emba.uvm.edu>'.
>   Overview buffer contains garbage ' <3f660e04$0$2839$80265adb@spool.cs.wisc.edu>	5637	111	Xref: intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com comp.lang.scheme:44310'.
>   Overview buffer contains garbage ' <m3n0ci1a58.fsf@snoopy.treese.org>	17925	326	Xref: intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com comp.lang.scheme:45042'.
>   Overview buffer contains garbage ' <3f6526a1$0$2840$80265adb@spool.cs.wisc.edu>'.
>   Overview buffer contains garbage ' <xcgisnuy7gd.fsf@mansfield.emba.uvm.edu>'.
>   Overview buffer contains garbage ' <3f660e04$0$2839$80265adb@spool.cs.wisc.edu>	5637	111	Xref: intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com comp.lang.scheme:44310'.
>   Overview buffer contains garbage ' <xcgisnuy7gd.fsf@mansfield.emba.uvm.edu>'.
>   Overview buffer contains garbage ' <3f660e04$0$2839$80265adb@spool.cs.wisc.edu>	5637	111	Xref: intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com comp.lang.scheme:44310'.
>   Overview buffer contains garbage ' <m3n0ci1a58.fsf@snoopy.treese.org>	17925	326	Xref: intern1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com comp.lang.scheme:45042'.
>   Overview buffer not sorted!
>   Finding sort keys...
>   Sorting records...
>   Reordering buffer... Done
>
> This segment repeats indefinitely.

The problem is that your server sent some garbage that is now
confusing the agent.  One, or more, of your article numbers is
currently so large that it overflows the emacs integer variable.

Your fix is to edit the .overview file for the group having the
problem.  The first number on each line is the article number.  Look
for lines whose article numbers are not consistent with the rest of
the file.  Most times when this problem has been reported, the article
number has been duplicated (that is, you have 123456123456 when the
correct number was 123456).  Just delete the problem lines then save
the file.  You should now be able to enter the group and, when you do,
the agent will re-fetch the headers that you just deleted.

Kevin

* Re: Weird infinite (?) loop when entering newsgroup
@ 2004-06-26 23:47     ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2004-06-26 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> The problem is that your server sent some garbage that is now
> confusing the agent.  One, or more, of your article numbers is
> currently so large that it overflows the emacs integer variable.
>
> Your fix is to edit the .overview file for the group having the
> problem.  The first number on each line is the article number.  Look
> for lines whose article numbers are not consistent with the rest of
> the file.  Most times when this problem has been reported, the article
> number has been duplicated (that is, you have 123456123456 when the
> correct number was 123456).  Just delete the problem lines then save
> the file.  You should now be able to enter the group and, when you do,
> the agent will re-fetch the headers that you just deleted.

OK, I tried that using a regexp replace, and after removing all the
1234512345 style lines, I was able to enter the group successfully,
but only once.  The next time I tried to re-enter the group after
that, the problem returned.

In any case, thanks for the help.