* Problem with gnus-topic-display-empty-topics?
@ 2003-12-10 16:35 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2003-12-10 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Even though `gnus-topic-display-empty-topics' is set to `t' for me, if I
select a topic with `RET' or `SPACE', I don't see any of the groups
within that topic, except those groups containing unread or marked
articles.

I have to invoke `C-u RET' or `C-u SPACE' on the topic line in order to
see all the groups within it ... even those groups which are configured
to be "Permanently Visible" in their own group parameters.

Is this correct?

If so, is there a way to configure Gnus so that invoking `RET' or
`SPACE' on the topic line will always show me all groups within that
topic?  ... or at least all "Permanently Visible" groups?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Problem with gnus-topic-display-empty-topics?
@ 2003-12-11 13:47 ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2003-12-11 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Even though `gnus-topic-display-empty-topics' is set to `t' for me, if I
> select a topic with `RET' or `SPACE', I don't see any of the groups
> within that topic, except those groups containing unread or marked
> articles.

Try pressing 'L' (uppercase)

I think `gnus-topic-display-empty-topics' is about displaying empty
*topics*, not about groups.

Robert Epprecht

* Re: Problem with gnus-topic-display-empty-topics?
@ 2003-12-11 13:59   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2003-12-11 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
>> Even though `gnus-topic-display-empty-topics' is set to `t' for me, if I
>> select a topic with `RET' or `SPACE', I don't see any of the groups
>> within that topic, except those groups containing unread or marked
>> articles.
>
> Try pressing 'L' (uppercase)

Thank you very much.

However, `L' doesn't work for me, either.  Certain topics refuse to show
their contents unless I type `C-u SPACE' or `C-u RET'.

> I think `gnus-topic-display-empty-topics' is about displaying empty
> *topics*, not about groups.

Yes, it does seem to work that way.  The info on Gnus says the
following, however, which was misleading for me:

 The `gnus-topic-display-empty-topics' says whether to display even
 topics that have no unread articles in them.  The default is `t'.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Drafts and archive groups under topics (was: Problem with gnus-topic-display-empty-topics?)
@ 2003-12-12 17:41 ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2003-12-12 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Even though `gnus-topic-display-empty-topics' is set to `t' for me, if I
> select a topic with `RET' or `SPACE', I don't see any of the groups
> within that topic, except those groups containing unread or marked
> articles.
>
> I have to invoke `C-u RET' or `C-u SPACE' on the topic line in order to
> see all the groups within it ... even those groups which are configured
> to be "Permanently Visible" in their own group parameters.

I have figured out more about when behavior occurs:

I have moved my drafts ("nndraft:") and archive ("nnml+archive:") groups
each into their own topics.  In these topics, and in _only_ these
topics, I have to invoke `C-u RET' or `C-u SPACE' to view the groups.
If I invoke `RET' or `SPACE' for these topics, they don't "open" to show
me the groups.

What could be special about `nndraft:' and `nnml+archive:' groups which
would cause this?  Is there a way to cause these types of groups to be
handled the same as all the others, when they are inside of a topic?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Drafts and archive groups under topics
@ 2003-12-12 18:22   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2003-12-12 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I have figured out more about when behavior occurs:
>
> I have moved my drafts ("nndraft:") and archive ("nnml+archive:") groups
> each into their own topics.  In these topics, and in _only_ these
> topics, I have to invoke `C-u RET' or `C-u SPACE' to view the groups.
> If I invoke `RET' or `SPACE' for these topics, they don't "open" to show
> me the groups.
>
> What could be special about `nndraft:' and `nnml+archive:' groups which
> would cause this?  Is there a way to cause these types of groups to be
> handled the same as all the others, when they are inside of a topic?

I should add that I know that invoking `L' will show me these groups.
However, I don't want to have to do that, because it shows me _all_
groups in _all_ topics.

I just want to be able to see the list of groups in my drafts or archive
topics without having to use `C-u RET' or `C-u SPACE'.

Am I out of luck?

--

@ 2003-12-15 11:55     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-15 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I just want to be able to see the list of groups in my drafts or archive
> topics without having to use `C-u RET' or `C-u SPACE'.

The closest that comes to my mind is to set the "permanently visible"
(or was it "permanent display"?) property of those groups to true.

Kai