* group names with non-ascii characters
@ 2000-06-08 19:21 Shenghuo ZHU
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-06-08 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is anyone using group names with non-ascii characters?  There could be
some bugs in handling the path names and the entries in the .active
files.  I guess nnimap supports group names with iso-8859-1
characters.  Has anyone tested to use agent or cache with those
groups?

Shenghuo

* Re: group names with non-ascii characters
@ 2000-06-08 20:20 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-06-08 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Is anyone using group names with non-ascii characters?  There could
> be some bugs in handling the path names and the entries in the .active
> files.  I guess nnimap supports group names with iso-8859-1 characters.
> Has anyone tested to use agent or cache with those groups?

I tried a few times, but had to back up and clean spreading damage, in
active and elsewhere.  I'm rather lost with Mule programming, and might
have to wait until I have enough time to either understand how to debug
this or help Lars or someone else at debugging from distance.  Yet, the
cleaning operations on my side are lengthy enough to prohibit distance
debugging, so I'm not kibitizing Lars about this.  I had more luck with
non-ASCII characters in Topic names, but there are still some annoying
problems in this area, as well, and I might back up there as well, for now.

* Re: group names with non-ascii characters
@ 2000-06-08 22:39 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-06-08 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Is anyone using group names with non-ascii characters?  There could be
> some bugs in handling the path names and the entries in the .active
> files.  I guess nnimap supports group names with iso-8859-1
> characters.  Has anyone tested to use agent or cache with those
> groups?

I've used nnimap+agent with latin-1 group names, but that was ~6
months ago or so and I didn't test specifically that latin-1
characters worked.  I think it did, though.  The only reference I
could find in my .gnus is

(setq gnus-startup-file-coding-system 'iso-8859-1)

(On a different topic, I think the default of that variable should be
`mule' or something that can hold all sorts of characters.  Limiting
group names to 7-bit ascii by default feels wrong.)

* Re: group names with non-ascii characters
@ 2000-06-12 17:45 ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2000-06-12 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Is anyone using group names with non-ascii characters?  There could be
> some bugs in handling the path names and the entries in the .active
> files.  I guess nnimap supports group names with iso-8859-1
> characters.  Has anyone tested to use agent or cache with those
> groups?

Such group names are used in the norge.* hierarchy. This is a hierarchy
with limited (Norway only) distribution. The group names assume that
8bit characters are iso-8859-1. Some examples of group names:

 norge.østfold
 norge.nord-trøndelag
 norge.oslo.grünerløkka

Bjørn
--
It's well known that the Martians are coming.