From: Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com>
To: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnus-extra-headers
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 08:14:31 +0100	[thread overview]

    >> > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes: >>>>>>> Eric

    >> -Q >> >> (or >> gnus-extra-headers has not been set explicitly by
    >> the >> >> user) then >> the variable gnus-extra-headers has the
    >> value:

    >> ‘gnus-sum.el’.  >> >> Its >> value is (X-Diary-Time-Zone
    >> X-Diary-Dow X-Diary-Year >> >> >> X-Diary-Month X-Diary-Dom
    >> X-Diary-Hour X-Diary-Minute To Cc >> >> >> Keywords Gcc
    >> Newsgroups X-GM-LABELS) Original value was (To Cc >> >> >>
    >> Keywords Gcc Newsgroups X-GM-LABELS)

    >> gnus-extra-headers >> incorrect?

    >> nndiary > >> backend, those headers don't get added to >>
    >> `gnus-extra-headers', > >> and it has its "original value" as >>
    >> noted in *Help*. I don't think >> > there's any contract that >>
    >> says additional libraries can't > >> manipulate the value of >>
    >> customization options... is there?

    >> no >> >> extra libraries are loaded. I would have thought that
    >> nndiary >> >> constitutes an extra library. If it does not and
    >> the library >> is >> germane to -Q then why omit any mention of
    >> it from >> >> gnus-extra-headers? I have quickly looked at NEWS
    >> for emacs-25.1 >> >> but found nothing relevant.

    >> nndiary > isn't loaded and its values aren't added to > >>
    >> `gnus-extra-headers'. The odd thing is that in my usual >>
    >> Emacs/Gnus > set up, those values _are_ added, and I don't use >>
    >> nndiary or > gnus-diary.el. Hang on, let me force an error in >>
    >> there and see > exactly what's loading it.

    >> added.

    >> load >> in > my setup, but it doesn't seem to happen by
    >> default. I'm >> quite > ready to believe that something is
    >> know what it is.

    >> > Sorry, I didn't ask how you're using Emacs, and assumed you
    >> were > running from the source tree, or had access to it. If you
    >> do have > access to nndiary.el, just edit it regularly in Emacs,
    >> and add a > line like:
    >>
    >> > (error)
    >>
    >> > anywhere in the file, maybe at the top. You'll need to remove >
    >> nndiary.elc, otherwise that will get loaded instead of the *el >
    >> file.

    >> (.elc) >> then gnus-extra-headers becomes (To Cc Keywords Gcc
    >> Newsgroups >> X-GM-LABELS).
    >>
    >> > If those files aren't present, I guess I would have expected
    >> you > to see an error, as whatever is loading it fails to find
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Some progress I think. I inserted (error) at various points in
    >> nndiary.el and got
    >>
    >> gnus-extra-headers is a variable defined in ‘gnus-sum.el’.
    >>
    >> Its value is (To Cc Keywords Gcc Newsgroups X-GM-LABELS)
    >>
    >> You can customize this variable.  This variable was introduced,
    >> or its default value was changed, in version 25.1 of Emacs.
    >>

    >> This was the case until line 1559. At line 1565, the value
    >> changed to
    >>
    >> gnus-extra-headers is a variable defined in ‘gnus-sum.el’.
    >>
    >> Its value is (X-Diary-Time-Zone X-Diary-Dow X-Diary-Year
    >> X-Diary-Month X-Diary-Dom X-Diary-Hour X-Diary-Minute To Cc
> [...]

No. No error or backtrace seen; just different values of the variable
depending on whether (add-to-list 'gnus-extra-headers header) is
operative or not.

I suppose it isn't an error but an inconsistency with the stated
"Original value" (To Cc Keywords Gcc Newsgroups X-GM-LABELS) of the
gnus-extra-headers variable. The "Original value" gets changed by
nndiary but the user is unaware of this and perhaps thinks, as I did,
that their setup is the culprit. It comes as a surprise to discover
"emacs -Q" leads to the same value of gnus-extra-headers.

After emacs -Q, I looked at the load history 'C-h v load-history' and
nndiary does not appear. The only gnus defuns loaded are
gnus-batch-kill and gnus-set-sorted-intersection. Significant?

I am sorry to be unhelpful.

Best wishes,

Colin.