* RFC: use NSS for S/MIME
@ 2016-03-03  8:20 Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2016-03-03  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

After seeing Greg's report on S/MIME interoperability issue[1], I was
thinking that it might be a good idea to add an S/MIME backend using NSS
instead of gpgsm.

The rationale behind this are:

- The certificate/key database could be shared with other major MUAs,
  such as Evolution or Thunderbird.

- For OpenPGP, GnuPG is the de-facto and there is no free alternative.
  For S/MIME, however, NSS is more widely used, and I expect that it had
  been tested better.

What do people think?  I have a basic wrapper implementation[2] (though
I might not have time to finish the integration of it into Gnus).

Regards,

Footnotes:
[1]  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/86677

[2]  https://github.com/ueno/smime-nss-el