* problems with Microsoft Outlook (Exchange?) timing out
@ 2013-01-13  0:50 Eric Fraga
From: Eric Fraga @ 2013-01-13  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I had the misfortune of having our work email system transferred
over to Microsoft Live last year.  Not wanting to use Outlook or
OWA, I continue to use gnus, accessing my Live email using
IMAP.  Generally, this works okay.

It would seem that the IMAP connection to Outlook gets dropped
(times out?) too soon in many cases while reading and writing
emails.  This affects accessing emails when reading a group every
so often (and I think this has come up before in the mailing list
here).  I have learnt to live with the annoying behaviour
generally.

However, there is one case where I am having a serious problem.  I
have one group (large volume) in which I am now unable to exit the
group properly.  The problem is that when I exit, gnus attempts to
expire a large number of messages.  In the process, I think
Outlook drops the connection so I get the following behaviour
(from *Messages*):

,---- | Expiring articles...  | Expiring articles from general: (
[lots of message numbers omitted for brevety] ) | Opening
connection to pod51002.outlook.com via tls...  | Opening
connection to pod51002.outlook.com...done | nnimap-send-command:
Buffer  *nnimap pod51002.outlook.com nil  *nntpd**-46420 has no
process `----  I have tried visiting this group (general) several
times over the past week and have not been able to "quit" the
group normally.  I am attempting to expire just over 3000 emails.

Any suggestions?  Is there something that could be done in gnus to
re-open connections to outlook.com when the connection is lost?  I
am happy to debug as necessary, given suitable instruction ;-)

My gnus is up to date from git master as of yesterday.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.6

only message in thread, other threads:[~2013-01-13  0:50 UTC | newest]