* status of bbdb v3 integration
@ 2012-06-11 14:47 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2012-06-11 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm thinking of upgrading to bbdb v3. How is it working with gnus ? Is
there anything to change in the .bbdb file and/or in the gnus settings ?

The reason I'm contemplating switching is that I'd like to try Asynk
(http://karra-asynk.appspot.com/) which claims to provide 2-way
synchronization between (among others) bbdb and google contacts. One
get almost seamless integration between contacts on a computer and an
Android Phone.

On a related note, I'm curious to know what gnus users have chosen to
share their contact databases between phone and
computer. I've so far tried org-contacts
(http://julien.danjou.info/software/org-contacts.el, dropped by the
author it seems) and
(http://julien.danjou.info/software/google-contacts.el).

Julien.

* Re: status of bbdb v3 integration
@ 2012-06-11 14:51 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2012-06-11 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: ding

On Mon, Jun 11 2012, Julien Cubizolles wrote:

> On a related note, I'm curious to know what gnus users have chosen to
> share their contact databases between phone and
> computer. I've so far tried org-contacts
> (http://julien.danjou.info/software/org-contacts.el, dropped by the
> author it seems) and
> (http://julien.danjou.info/software/google-contacts.el).

I use the latter (that's why I dropped the former). :)

--
           Julien

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: status of bbdb v3 integration
@ 2012-06-11 14:57   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2012-06-11 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 11 2012, Julien Cubizolles wrote:
>
>> On a related note, I'm curious to know what gnus users have chosen to
>> share their contact databases between phone and
>> computer. I've so far tried org-contacts
>> (http://julien.danjou.info/software/org-contacts.el, dropped by the
>> author it seems) and
>> (http://julien.danjou.info/software/google-contacts.el).
>
> I use the latter (that's why I dropped the former). :)
No surprise here :-) but I like the ability to add an address in the
database just by typing ":". I don't think google-contacts can do that,
right ?

@ 2012-06-11 15:46     ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2012-06-11 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: ding

On Mon, Jun 11 2012, Julien Cubizolles wrote:

> No surprise here :-) but I like the ability to add an address in the
> database just by typing ":". I don't think google-contacts can do that,
> right ?

No, it's read-only, at least for now. :)

--

@ 2012-06-11 17:27 ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2012-06-11 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I'm thinking of upgrading to bbdb v3. How is it working with gnus ? Is
> there anything to change in the .bbdb file and/or in the gnus
> settings ?

I have just upgraded and it is a bit a mess since everything has
changed. But, you don't have to do any modification to .bbdb. Moreover,
there is absolutely no documentation for BBDBv3. You can try to migrate
using this wiki page:
 http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UpgradeBBDB

After the migration, I noticed that the records where not udpated nor
displayed automtically. I had to add this:

#v+
(add-hook 'bbdb-notice-mail-hook 'bbdb-auto-notes)
(add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook 'vbe/gnus/bbdb-display-record)
(defun vbe/gnus/bbdb-display-record ()
  "Display appropriate BBDB record for the current message."
  (unless
      (bbdb-mua-display-records nil 'search)
    ;; No record found, close the BBDB popup
    (let ((window (get-buffer-window bbdb-buffer-name)))
      (when window (delete-window window)))))
#v-

Here is my current configuration for BBDB:
 https://github.com/vincentbernat/dot.emacs/blob/master/gnus/bbdb.el

> The reason I'm contemplating switching is that I'd like to try Asynk
> (http://karra-asynk.appspot.com/) which claims to provide 2-way
> synchronization between (among others) bbdb and google contacts. One
> get almost seamless integration between contacts on a computer and an
> Android Phone.
>
> On a related note, I'm curious to know what gnus users have chosen to
> share their contact databases between phone and
> computer. I've so far tried org-contacts
> (http://julien.danjou.info/software/org-contacts.el, dropped by the
> author it seems) and
> (http://julien.danjou.info/software/google-contacts.el).

Is it possible with any of those solutions to avoid to clutter the phone
with all the contacts from BBDB? I have thousands of contacts in BBDB
but I don't want to have all of them in Google Contacts. Ideally, only
contacts already in Google Contacts should be updated in Google
Contacts with information from BBDB.
--
 /*
  *   Should be panic but... (Why are BSD people panic obsessed ??)

* Re: status of bbdb v3 integration
@ 2012-06-11 17:56   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2012-06-11 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Bernat; +Cc: ding

Vincent Bernat <bernat@luffy.cx> writes:

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> Is it possible with any of those solutions to avoid to clutter the phone
> with all the contacts from BBDB? I have thousands of contacts in BBDB
> but I don't want to have all of them in Google Contacts. Ideally, only
> contacts already in Google Contacts should be updated in Google
> Contacts with information from BBDB.

Yes it is, Asynk can look for specific entries in bbdb (named "folder"
by default) to decide which contact to sync. That's what I understood
from the documentation anyway.

@ 2012-06-12  8:46   ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2012-06-12  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Bernat; +Cc: Julien Cubizolles, ding