* nuke offline mode?
@ 2011-09-16  2:35 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2011-09-16  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ding List

Is there a simple setting I can use to completely and utterly disable
offline mode, and all it's various nasty side-effects?

I hate hate hate offline mode because it (1) constantly interferes
with normal operation in various annoying and confusing ways, and (2)
never actually seems to be useful, even when you're offline or have
limited net access...  Anyway, I don't want to deal with this lossage,
and just want to make it go away; any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.

* Re: nuke offline mode?
@ 2011-09-16  6:11 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2011-09-16  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: ding

On Fri, Sep 16 2011, Miles Bader wrote:

> Is there a simple setting I can use to completely and utterly disable
> offline mode,

Just set `gnus-agent' to nil.  Maybe the docs should explain ths more
prominently?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Unplugged") ]
`----

,----[ (info "(gnus)Agent Variables") ]
| 6.9.11 Agent Variables
| ----------------------
|
| `gnus-agent'
|      Is the agent enabled?  The default is `t'.  When first enabled,
|      the agent will use `gnus-agent-auto-agentize-methods' to
|      automatically mark some back ends as agentized.  You may change
|      which back ends are agentized using the agent commands in the
|      server buffer.
|
|      To enter the server buffer, use the `^'
|      (`gnus-group-enter-server-mode') command in the group buffer.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: nuke offline mode?
@ 2011-09-16  6:15   ` Miles Bader
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Miles Bader @ 2011-09-16  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib, Miles Bader, Ding List

2011/9/16 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>:
> On Fri, Sep 16 2011, Miles Bader wrote:
>> Is there a simple setting I can use to completely and utterly disable
>> offline mode,
>
> Just set `gnus-agent' to nil.  Maybe the docs should explain ths more
> prominently?

Hmm, doesn't the "gnus agent" have other useful functions?  I vaguely
recall something about it like that... that it was for more than
offline stuff.... maybe I'm just misremembering  tho...

thanks,

-miels

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.

* Re: nuke offline mode?
@ 2011-09-16  6:28     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2011-09-16  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib, Miles Bader, Ding List

2011/9/16 Miles Bader <snogglethorpe@gmail.com>:
> 2011/9/16 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>:
>> On Fri, Sep 16 2011, Miles Bader wrote:
>>> Is there a simple setting I can use to completely and utterly disable
>>> offline mode,
>>
>> Just set `gnus-agent' to nil.  Maybe the docs should explain ths more
>> prominently?
>
> Hmm, doesn't the "gnus agent" have other useful functions?  I vaguely
> recall something about it like that... that it was for more than
> offline stuff.... maybe I'm just misremembering  tho...

Ah, now I think I remember -- isn't the gnus agent basically the gnus
caching layer?  That's useful even when connected, if the
network/server has a lot of latency.

Not sure the optimal combination for me though; the problem is that my
ISP tends to kill nttp connections even after only a short time idle,
which confuses gnus ... (and is one common reason gnus suddenly
decides to enter offline mode)

-miles

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.

* Re: nuke offline mode?
@ 2011-09-16  6:45     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2011-09-16  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, Sep 16 2011, Miles Bader wrote:

> 2011/9/16 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>:
>> Just set `gnus-agent' to nil.  Maybe the docs should explain ths more
>> prominently?
>
> Hmm, doesn't the "gnus agent" have other useful functions?  I vaguely
> recall something about it like that... that it was for more than
> offline stuff.... maybe I'm just misremembering  tho...

Dunno.  According to vc-annotate, I changed it to nil in my init file
a few days after the default changed to t (2002-05-29).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: nuke offline mode?
@ 2011-09-16  7:39 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-09-16  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Miles Bader <snogglethorpe@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a simple setting I can use to completely and utterly disable
> offline mode, and all it's various nasty side-effects?
>
> I hate hate hate offline mode because it (1) constantly interferes
> with normal operation in various annoying and confusing ways, and (2)
> never actually seems to be useful, even when you're offline or have
> limited net access...  Anyway, I don't want to deal with this lossage,
> and just want to make it go away; any suggestions?

Miles,

I am curious as to your point (1) above.  Can you expand on the
annoyances and confusion caused by offline mode?

I use offline mode every twice, twice a day, while on my train journeys
to and from work.  I do almost all of my email processing during these
periods!  offline mode seems to work just fine for me.  I'm using gnus
this way right now and this email will be sent when I get to my office.

eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.18

* Re: nuke offline mode?
@ 2011-09-16 15:02     ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-09-16 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Fri Sep 16 2011, Miles Bader <snogglethorpe-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/9/16 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>:
>> On Fri, Sep 16 2011, Miles Bader wrote:
>
>>> Is there a simple setting I can use to completely and utterly disable
>>> offline mode,
>>
>> Just set `gnus-agent' to nil.  Maybe the docs should explain ths more
>> prominently?
>
> Hmm, doesn't the "gnus agent" have other useful functions?  I vaguely
> recall something about it like that... that it was for more than
> offline stuff.... maybe I'm just misremembering  tho...

See the bottom paragraph below.  Pretty cryptic, but it does imply that
you shouldn't disable the agent that way unless you like waiting.

,----[ C-h v gnus-agent RET ]

`----

--
Dave Abrahams