* Re: How to display read articles?
       [not found] <yegsjqk9s1z.fsf@vaso.ll.iac.es>
@ 2011-07-06  8:01 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-07-06  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just decided to switch to Gnus for my news/mail experience, and I'm
> learning how to do different things with it. One thing that I have not
> managed to do (forgive me, it's pretty late here) is to view read
> articles in the summary buffer.
>
> I mean: after reading some articles, I exit the summary buffer, then
> later on I enter the group again, and the read articles are gone. I know
> that they are not deleted, and I've trying to find the option to let me
> see all the messages in a group (regardless of whether they had been
> read or not), but could not find it in the documentation. I'm sure it is
> somewhere in there, but the number of available options in Gnus is just
> overwhelming....
>
> Thanks,
> Ángel de Vicente

Type "/ O" in the Summary buffer and type however many old (aka read)
articles you wish to see.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.18

* Re: How to display read articles?
@ 2011-07-06  8:43   ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-06  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just decided to switch to Gnus for my news/mail experience, and I'm
>> learning how to do different things with it. One thing that I have not
>> managed to do (forgive me, it's pretty late here) is to view read
>> articles in the summary buffer.
>>
>> I mean: after reading some articles, I exit the summary buffer, then
>> later on I enter the group again, and the read articles are gone. I know
>> that they are not deleted, and I've trying to find the option to let me
>> see all the messages in a group (regardless of whether they had been
>> read or not), but could not find it in the documentation. I'm sure it is
>> somewhere in there, but the number of available options in Gnus is just
>> overwhelming....
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ángel de Vicente
>
> Type "/ O" in the Summary buffer and type however many old (aka read)
> articles you wish to see.

Or you can use C-u RET to enter the group to see all articles right
away.  You can also use group parameters in ~/.gnus like:

	("mail\\.0-incoming"
	 (gnus-show-threads nil)
	 (gnus-use-scoring nil)
	 (gnus-article-sort-functions '((not gnus-article-sort-by-date)))
	 (display . [not expire])
	 (gcc-self . "mail.sent")
	 (gnus-summary-line-format
	  ":%U%R%z%I(%5k) %(%[%-23,23f%]%) %11&user-date; '%s\n"))

"(display . [not expire] )" displays all articles except expired ones.

* Re: How to display read articles?
@ 2011-07-07  3:57     ` prad
From: prad @ 2011-07-07  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

>> Type "/ O" in the Summary buffer and type however many old (aka read)
>> articles you wish to see.
>
> Or you can use C-u RET to enter the group to see all articles right
> away.

but is there a way to get all the articles for a particular thread?

A R seems to do it for email.
A ^ gets the parent
A T does this for some of the thread though not always all of it.

so if i want to see the articles in an old thread, how can i get it back
(other than try to find it in a gmane repository?)

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: How to display read articles?
@ 2011-07-07 12:01       ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-07 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>>> Type "/ O" in the Summary buffer and type however many old (aka read)
>>> articles you wish to see.
>>
>> Or you can use C-u RET to enter the group to see all articles right
>> away.
>>
> but is there a way to get all the articles for a particular thread?
>
> A R seems to do it for email.
> A ^ gets the parent
> A T does this for some of the thread though not always all of it.
>
> so if i want to see the articles in an old thread, how can i get it back
> (other than try to find it in a gmane repository?)

Are you sure the articles are available?  How do you know that they are
when they aren't found?  When you're looking at a newsgroup on a news
server, they might not be available.

"A T" usually works fine for me, though I have seen a few articles that
seemed to refer to others of which no parent was found (particularly in
this mailing list, IIRC).

"A T" is bound to `gnus-summary-refer-thread':

,---- [ gnus-sum.el ]
| (defun gnus-summary-refer-thread (&optional limit)
|   "Fetch all articles in the current thread.
| If no backend-specific 'request-thread function is available
| fetch LIMIT (the numerical prefix) old headers. If LIMIT is nil
| fetch what's specified by the `gnus-refer-thread-limit'
| variable."
`----

The default for `gnus-refer-thread-limit' seems to be 500.

Getting the parent might give a message that there are no references or
that the parent couldn't be found.  There has been a discussion about
improving this recently here.  It seemed to mostly concern articles on
IMAP servers.

So it seems to depend on what backend you're using.  When you can find
the thread on gmane, you could try to fetch some articles that couldn't
be found with "A T" by their message ID with
`gnus-summary-refer-article'.  I just tried that with an article in
another group, and the article is inserted into the summary of the group
for mails from this mailing list.

It would be interesting if you get the missing article with
`gnus-summary-refer-article' but not with "A T".

* Re: How to display read articles?
@ 2011-07-08 14:27         ` prad
From: prad @ 2011-07-08 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

> Are you sure the articles are available?  How do you know that they are
> when they aren't found?  When you're looking at a newsgroup on a news
> server, they might not be available.

ok that's what i suspected. the articles just aren't available on the
server. so unlike a forum where articles stay forever (unless the forum
gets pruned), the server doesn't serve some stuff after a while.

hmmm ... time to look into how to save threads then i guess.
i'm still new to the newsgroups concepts.

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: How to display read articles?
@ 2011-07-08 17:09           ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-08 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> Are you sure the articles are available?
> [...]
>>
> ok that's what i suspected. the articles just aren't available on the
> server.
>
> hmmm ... time to look into how to save threads then i guess. i'm still
> new to the newsgroups concepts.

You can tick them or copy them into a group, eventually using the
process mark.  And I wonder if it's possible to set up splitting rules
that would allow to re-spool articles from newsgroups into appropriate
groups ...  If that's possible, I guess you might be able to automate it
with some programming, referring to articles scores maybe ...