* Impossible to edebug stuff that calls auth-source?
@ 2011-02-21 23:19 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-21 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm always edebugging a lot, and last night it failed mysteriously with
this message at seemingly odd, by reproducible points:

Wrong type argument: arrayp, auth-source-backend

I drilled down to try to see what's going on, and I think the culprit is
auth-source, somehow.

If I edebug `nntp-send-authinfo', for instance, it will fail with that
error message when it reaches this point:

          (nth 0 (auth-source-search :max 1
                                     ;; TODO: allow the virtual server name too
                                     :host nntp-address
                                     :port '("119" "nntp"))))

I haven't looked any further down what's going on.  Does the EIEIO stuff
make edebug bug out?  Or something?

* Re: Impossible to edebug stuff that calls auth-source?
@ 2011-02-21 23:57 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-02-21 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'm always edebugging a lot, and last night it failed mysteriously with
> this message at seemingly odd, by reproducible points:
>
> Wrong type argument: arrayp, auth-source-backend
>
> I drilled down to try to see what's going on, and I think the culprit is
> auth-source, somehow.

defclass probably needs a debug declaration (*Note (elisp) Instrumenting
Macro Calls::).

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Impossible to edebug stuff that calls auth-source?
@ 2011-02-22  0:08   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-22  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> defclass probably needs a debug declaration (*Note (elisp) Instrumenting
> Macro Calls::).

Hm...

The doc says:

---
   If a macro has no Edebug specification, neither through a `debug'
declaration nor through a `def-edebug-spec' call, the variable
`edebug-eval-macro-args' comes into play.

 -- User Option: edebug-eval-macro-args
     This controls the way Edebug treats macro arguments with no
     explicit Edebug specification.  If it is `nil' (the default), none
     of the arguments is instrumented for evaluation.  Otherwise, all
     arguments are instrumented.
---

And it is nil, so shouldn't edebug just ignore this?  And I haven't
actually asked edebug to instrument any of the auth-source functions,
just functions that eventually lead to auth-source being called, so
edebug shouldn't know about that stuff anyway, should it?  *scratches
head*

* Re: Impossible to edebug stuff that calls auth-source?
@ 2011-02-22 17:42     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-22 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:08:51 -0800 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LI> Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:
>> defclass probably needs a debug declaration (*Note (elisp) Instrumenting
>> Macro Calls::).

LI> I haven't actually asked edebug to instrument any of the auth-source
LI> functions, just functions that eventually lead to auth-source being
LI> called, so edebug shouldn't know about that stuff anyway, should it?
LI> *scratches head*

You got me.  I don't use edebug, only (debug) calls, the printf of
ELisp.  I keep meaning to learn edebug but haven't had the time.

Ted

* Re: Impossible to edebug stuff that calls auth-source?
@ 2011-02-23  8:25       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-23  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> You got me.  I don't use edebug, only (debug) calls, the printf of
> ELisp.  I keep meaning to learn edebug but haven't had the time.

edebug is really easy to use.  Just say `M-x edebug-defun', and then
you'll be popped to a buffer showing the code when it's called, and you
can `SPC' though it.  I wouldn't be able to do anything on as old a code
base as Gnus without it.  :-)

* Re: Impossible to edebug stuff that calls auth-source?
@ 2011-03-16 16:36         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-16 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 00:25:34 -0800 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> You got me.  I don't use edebug, only (debug) calls, the printf of
>> ELisp.  I keep meaning to learn edebug but haven't had the time.

LI> edebug is really easy to use.  Just say `M-x edebug-defun', and then
LI> you'll be popped to a buffer showing the code when it's called, and you
LI> can `SPC' though it.  I wouldn't be able to do anything on as old a code
LI> base as Gnus without it.  :-)

It's surprisingly nice.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I looked through
(info "(elisp) Edebug") and it answered all my questions.  It's nice
that you can just say `C-u C-M-x' to call `edebug-defun'.

Ted