On Thu, Sep 02 2010, Ted Zlatanov wrote: > nnmaildir already does that. The problem is that Gnus flags are > a superset of what Maildir variants can handle. This is not a good reason to store *all* flags in a non-standard way. > The nnmaildir slowness comes from its desire to be safe for > access from multiple machines to a shared spool. If it kept a > message database it would be much faster. The patches I > mentioned were discussed on emacs-devel move some of the message > count tracking to a single file, but it really needs to be a > single file for flags and counts. I asked Paul Jarc for > comments on my proposal. See > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/125311/focus=126444 > for details. I think nnmaildir can be ridiculously fast for > single-client access if we allow it. That would be great, because I'm not sure that there's a point allowing multiple machine access from Gnus on Maildirs. Allowing multiple machine access to Maildir is a thing IMAP is good at. On the other hand, I'm forced to use IMAP on *localhost* to access my Maildirs from Gnus, because Gnus does not cope correctly with Maildir. Man, this is all upside down! -- Julien Danjou // ᐰ http://julien.danjou.info