From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: How to force charset iso-8859-1 when posting?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:59:16 +0200	[thread overview]

> On Tue, Sep 23 2008, Steinar Bang wrote:
>> Platform: Ubuntu 8.04, Intel Pentium M
>> GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of 2008-05-03 on terranova, modified by Ubuntu
>> No Gnus v0.11 (recent CVS update)
>>
>> For some reason Gnus have decided to post with utf-8.

> Did you change your locale settings?

Not intentionally, but perhaps Ubuntu has decided to do it for meg.  I
don't have a time frame from when this happened.

Hm... but I think you've put the finger on the problem.  In my ~/.bashrc
I do this:

# My own specific changes
# Norwegian/Swedish/Danish error messages from make, linkers and compilers
# are really confusing!
unset LANG
unset LANGUAGE
unset LANGUAGES

So when I do "env" from a command line I get nothing interesting.
However when I do `M-! env RET' I find

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

So emacsen started from the menus don't get those environment changes.

Is there a way to override this setting from inside emacs?

Will
 (setenv "LANG" nil)
work, I wonder...?

Or is there a tidier lispish solution that tells Gnus to ignore the
locale?

> Does setting mm-coding-system-priorities globally work?

I haven't tried yet.  I will.

>> So... is there a working way to force the charset when posting, for a
>> group or set of groups?

> I once added such an example to (info "(emacs-mime)Encoding
> Customization"), but Katsumi Yamaoka pointed out some
> problems/limitations:

> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/63762>

I'll study the thread closely.  It appears similar to what I tried (and
failed) to do with gnus-parameters...?

> On Wed, Sep 24 2008, Steinar Bang wrote:
>> I've now tried the following in ~/.gnus.el
>> (setq message-default-charset 'iso-8859-1)
>> But that didn't work either.  Gnus still posts with utf-8.

> Hardly surprising: "Default charset used in non-MULE Emacsen."

Indeed.  It was a shot in the dark.

Thanx!