* Status of bugs@gnus.org.
@ 2005-06-20  9:03 Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-06-20  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm a GNU Emacs developer and, as you probably know, commits to
lisp/gnus in Emacs' CVS will go to the stable branch of Gnus' CVS as
well.  So when I want to commit something to lisp/gnus I sometimes
write a message to bugs@gnus.org to discuss my intended change.  In my
experience, I either get no response or it takes a long time.  This
leaves me wondering if bugs@gnus.org is the right platform for such
discussions.  Should I propose patches to Gnus here instead?

Lute.

* Re: Status of bugs@gnus.org.
@ 2005-06-20 12:38 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-06-20 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, Jun 20 2005, Lute Kamstra wrote:

> I'm a GNU Emacs developer and, as you probably know, commits to
> lisp/gnus in Emacs' CVS will go to the stable branch of Gnus' CVS as
> well.  So when I want to commit something to lisp/gnus I sometimes
> write a message to bugs@gnus.org to discuss my intended change.  In my
> experience, I either get no response or it takes a long time.  This
> leaves me wondering if bugs@gnus.org is the right platform for such
> discussions.  Should I propose patches to Gnus here instead?

Yes, I'd recommend to use this list (ding@gnus.org).

In contrast to bugs@gnus.org it is carried on Gmane.org, it has a nice
searchable threaded web interface [1] to browse old threads and has
much better spam filtering (when read as a newsgroup from
news.gmane.org).  I didn't read bugs@gnus.org for a week and it was
very hard to discover your message (Subject: Major mode conventions)
between all the spam.  There were only to ham messages and more than
hundred spam messages.

Two or three years ago, I tried to convince Lars to include
bugs@gnus.org on Gmane, too (this would also solve the spam problem).
But he rejected the idea because he didn't want all the user settings
(created by `M-x gnus-bug RET') to be visible through the web
interface.  Since then, the spam/ham ration even got worse and it's
not good when bug reports remain unprocessed because of this.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general
    http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Status of bugs@gnus.org.
@ 2005-06-20 12:50   ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2005-06-20 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Since then, the spam/ham ration even got worse and it's not good when
> bug reports remain unprocessed because of this.

If you have enough courage, you can cancel the spam in there.  I used to
do it but gave up after a few months when I realized that a default
installation of SpamAssassin would have caught 99% of what I was
expiring manually.  My time is better spent elsewhere...

Cheers,

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | It was fourteen degrees below
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | on a screeching march 23.

* Re: Status of bugs@gnus.org.
@ 2005-06-21  8:11     ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-06-21  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> Since then, the spam/ham ration even got worse and it's not good when
>> bug reports remain unprocessed because of this.
>
> If you have enough courage, you can cancel the spam in there.  I used to
> do it but gave up after a few months when I realized that a default
> installation of SpamAssassin would have caught 99% of what I was
> expiring manually.  My time is better spent elsewhere...

Plus, when you're removing so much spam manually, you tend to get
bored/tired and start to make mistakes.  Once, a valid bug report of
mine got canceled.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "MD2 MDA Ceridian"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")