* [Q]: gnus-summary-refer-parent-article, what does it deserve ?
@ 2004-03-03  8:08 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-03-03  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today I incidentally discovered a gnus feature.

When in a summary buffer, hit '^' and you can (provided it is possible)
read the ancestor(s) of an article.

I admit it could be useful but my problem is I don't even know when
people use it exactly (if ever used).

The docstring says:

,----
| ^ runs the command gnus-summary-refer-parent-article
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
| It is bound to ^, A r, A ^, <menu-bar> <article> <fetch parent of article>.
| (gnus-summary-refer-parent-article N)
|
| Refer parent article N times.
| If N is negative, go to ancestor -N instead.
| The difference between N and the number of articles fetched is returned.
`----

I thought I could use this when threads where broken but most of the
time, when a thread is broken by a post, it is highly likely it doesn't
have a references header and so '^' is not that useful (not to say
useless)in that case.

So can somebody explain me when does he use this feature ?

Thank you,

zeDek
--
GnusFR  (http://www.gnusfr.org)
EmacsFR (http://www.emacsfr.org)

.emacs: Because customisation is fun!

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: : gnus-summary-refer-parent-article, what does it deserve ?
@ 2004-03-03 21:35 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2004-03-03 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:08:53 +0100, Xavier wrote:

> So can somebody explain me when does he use this feature ?

I use it when I read a new article in a thread I've previously read
(the day before, or something), and I can't remember what someone said
earlier in the thread. ^ a couple of times, and there you go.

If I don't reach the wanted article in a couple of steps up, I usually
do an A T (I think it is; it's embedded in my fingers, not my head)
instead.

^ is cool in combination with setting gnus-refer-article-method if the
newsserver you are reading from expires stuff quickly.

  Best regards,

--
 "Mr. Cotton's... parrot. Same question."                     Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: [Q]: gnus-summary-refer-parent-article, what does it deserve ?
@ 2004-03-03 21:48 ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-03-03 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> wrote:

> Today I incidentally discovered a gnus feature.
> When in a summary buffer, hit '^' and you can (provided it is possible)
> read the ancestor(s) of an article.

Yes, it's a very nice feature, isn't it? :-)

> I admit it could be useful but my problem is I don't even know when
> people use it exactly (if ever used).
> So can somebody explain me when does he use this feature ?

I use it quite often. In addition I have:

;; How to find the parent article
(setq gnus-refer-article-method
      '(current
	(nntp "iridium.home.local")           ; first my local inn, then
	(nntp "news.t-online.de")             ; news.t-online.de, then
        (nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))  ; groups.google.com and finally
	(nntp "news.gmane.org")))             ; news.gmane.org

Since I let Gnus show me new articles only and I often need to go up
within the thread I usually hit ^ instead of rebuilding the thread by `A
R' or `A T'. Besides my local inn stores articles just for 4 months so
it is a great feature to look at other newsservers with the code
mentioned above.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"This elevator serves me alone. I have complete control over
this entire level. With cameras as my eyes and nodes as my

* Re: [Q]: gnus-summary-refer-parent-article, what does it deserve ?
@ 2004-03-03 22:42   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-03-03 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  3 mar 2004, Marcus Frings wrote:

* Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> wrote:

> > Today I incidentally discovered a gnus feature. When in a summary
> > buffer, hit '^' and you can (provided it is possible) read the
> > ancestor(s) of an article.
>
> Yes, it's a very nice feature, isn't it? :-)
>
> > I admit it could be useful but my problem is I don't even know when
> > people use it exactly (if ever used).
> > So can somebody explain me when does he use this feature ?
>
> I use it quite often. In addition I have:
>
> ;; How to find the parent article
> (setq gnus-refer-article-method
> '(current
> 	(nntp "iridium.home.local")           ; first my local inn, then
> 	(nntp "news.t-online.de")             ; news.t-online.de, then
> (nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))  ; groups.google.com and finally
> 	(nntp "news.gmane.org")))             ; news.gmane.org
>
> Since I let Gnus show me new articles only and I often need to go up
> within the thread I usually hit ^ instead of rebuilding the thread by
> `A R' or `A T'. Besides my local inn stores articles just for 4 months
> so it is a great feature to look at other newsservers with the code
> mentioned above.

Thank you for your explanations. I am also thinking on installing my
own local nntp server here. I am still trying to see which one between
inn, inn2 and leafnode I should use :)

Maybe you can help me to choose ? Is inn and inn2 the same (one the
evolution of the other) ?

zeDek
--
"sometimes i feel like we're making emacs better and better because we don't
 know what to do with emacs once it is finished."

    -- AlexSchroeder on #emacs @OPN

* Re: [Q]: gnus-summary-refer-parent-article, what does it deserve ?
@ 2004-03-04 18:37     ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-03-04 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Xavier Maillard <zedek+news@gnu-rox.org> wrote:

> Thank you for your explanations. I am also thinking on installing my
> own local nntp server here. I am still trying to see which one between
> inn, inn2 and leafnode I should use :)

I guess you should really install a local newsserver because it makes
life in usenet more comfortable.

> Maybe you can help me to choose ? Is inn and inn2 the same (one the
> evolution of the other) ?

inn means 1.x which is still often used whereas inn2 means the newer
version 2.x.

inn is a professional newsserver for ISPs which can handle almost
everything and leafnode's aim is to serve at home. I would suggest that
you try out leafnode2-alpha. Don't be frightened because of the alpha
status; it's alpha since years but could really be used at home. The
main advantages of leafnode2 are local groups (maybe not so important to
you) and much faster news pulling from upstream (compared to leafnode
1.9.x). Another nice feature of leafnode is that you can use several
upstream newsservers at the same time. This can also be done by inn but
it is more complex to deal with it in my opinion. The setup of leafnode
is very easy and can be done within a few minutes. inn is a little bit
more difficult to setup because documentation is a pain in the ass but
there exist some HOWTOs in the web which explain how to run an inn at
home. If I were you I would really give leafnode2-alpha a try; you'll
like it...

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Make yourself comfortable, hacker. Stay a little while..."
                                   (Shodan in System Shock)

* Re: : gnus-summary-refer-parent-article, what does it deserve ?
@ 2004-03-05  8:37   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-03-05  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

spamtrap@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:08:53 +0100, Xavier wrote:
>
>> So can somebody explain me when does he use this feature ?
>
> I use it when I read a new article in a thread I've previously read
> (the day before, or something), and I can't remember what someone said
> earlier in the thread. ^ a couple of times, and there you go.

People who set gnus-fetch-old-headers to t will use ^ less often.  But
some people might prefer to actually see new articles only, so they
set gnus-fetch-old-headers to nil.  Then they can use ^ to get the
parent of an article.

Of course, the feature that ^ can fetch from sources other than the
current newsserver is really cool and makes ^ much more useful.

Kai

* Re: [Q]: gnus-summary-refer-parent-article, what does it deserve ?
@ 2004-03-06 13:06       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-03-06 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  4 mar 2004, Marcus Frings wrote:

* Xavier Maillard <zedek+news@gnu-rox.org> wrote:

> > Thank you for your explanations. I am also thinking on installing my
> > own local nntp server here. I am still trying to see which one
> > between inn, inn2 and leafnode I should use :)
>
> I guess you should really install a local newsserver because it makes
> life in usenet more comfortable.
>
> > Maybe you can help me to choose ? Is inn and inn2 the same (one the
> > evolution of the other) ?
>
> inn means 1.x which is still often used whereas inn2 means the newer
> version 2.x.
>
> inn is a professional newsserver for ISPs which can handle almost
> everything and leafnode's aim is to serve at home. I would suggest
> that you try out leafnode2-alpha. Don't be frightened because of the
> alpha status; it's alpha since years but could really be used at home.
> The main advantages of leafnode2 are local groups (maybe not so
> important to you) and much faster news pulling from upstream (compared
> to leafnode 1.9.x). Another nice feature of leafnode is that you can
> use several upstream newsservers at the same time. This can also be
> done by inn but it is more complex to deal with it in my opinion. The
> setup of leafnode is very easy and can be done within a few minutes.
> inn is a little bit more difficult to setup because documentation is a
> pain in the ass but there exist some HOWTOs in the web which explain
> how to run an inn at home. If I were you I would really give
> leafnode2-alpha a try; you'll like it...

Thank you for the report. I am currently installing leafnode as inn is
really a pain to understand :)

zeDek
--
Registered Linux-User #340967 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.

* Re: [Q]: gnus-summary-refer-parent-article, what does it deserve ?
@ 2004-03-06 14:13         ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-03-06 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> wrote:

> Thank you for the report. I am currently installing leafnode as inn is
> really a pain to understand :)

Okie, enjoy leafnode! :-) In fact inn is not soooooo difficult to
understand due to the many good HOWTOs but of course it is much more
complex than leafnode.

Regards,
Marcus
--