* I want to read html mails thru Netscape.
@ 2001-06-20  0:13 Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2001-06-20  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using Gnus v5.8.8 with XEmacs 21.4.3.

I'm sort of Gnus beginner and this is my first post here. :-)

Well, is there any way I can read incoming html mails thru Netscape.
My Gnus shows me thru w3, which is also good but quite slow sometimes
and doesn't show mails decently.

Thanks in advance.

--
|  Jinhyok Heo            mailto : novembre @ournature.org
|                         whoami : <http://ournature.org/~novembre/>
|  "We are still reaching for the sky. In the developed countries people
|  are coming back down, saying, `It's empty up there.'" --- a Ladakhi monk

* Re: I want to read html mails thru Netscape.
@ 2001-06-22  9:54 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-06-22  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 20 Jun 2001, Jinhyok Heo wrote:

> Well, is there any way I can read incoming html mails thru Netscape.
> My Gnus shows me thru w3, which is also good but quite slow
> sometimes and doesn't show mails decently.

Does it work to say `K b' to create buttons for the parts, then hit
`e' on the text/html button?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: I want to read html mails thru Netscape.
@ 2001-06-23  2:32   ` Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2001-06-23  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    KG> On 20 Jun 2001, Jinhyok Heo wrote:
    >  Well, is there any way I can read incoming html mails thru Netscape.
    >  My Gnus shows me thru w3, which is also good but quite slow
    >  sometimes and doesn't show mails decently.

    KG> Does it work to say `K b' to create buttons for the parts, then hit
    KG> `e' on the text/html button?

Thanks! It does work in case I add "text/html; /usr/bin/netscape %" in
my "~/.mailcap".

But in such way I have to wait long for my html mail to be loaded.  I
want to read text/plain first if both text/plain and text/html exit.

And I found following lines could show me text/plain first.
(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
      '("text/html" "text/richtext"))

And the following line made me buttons without pressing 'K b'.
(setq gnus-inhibit-mime-unbuttonizing t)

I was happy for a moment, but I came to know that hitting 'e' on the
text/html button did not call netscape any more - slow w3 was working.

Is there a way that I can read text/plain first and also read
text/html though netscape if needed?

--

@ 2001-06-23  3:46     ` Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2001-06-23  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jinhyok" == Jinhyok Heo <novembre@ournature.org> writes:
>> On 20 Jun 2001, Jinhyok Heo wrote:
>>> Well, is there any way I can read incoming html mails thru Netscape.
>>> My Gnus shows me thru w3, which is also good but quite slow
>>> sometimes and doesn't show mails decently.
>>
>> Does it work to say `K b' to create buttons for the parts, then hit
>> `e' on the text/html button?
>
> Thanks! It does work in case I add "text/html; /usr/bin/netscape %"
> in my "~/.mailcap".

You should look into netscape-remote (and maybe "netscape -remote
something") so you can access the pages in your running netscape, not
starting a new one.

> But in such way I have to wait long for my html mail to be loaded.
> I want to read text/plain first if both text/plain and text/html
> exit.
>
> And I found following lines could show me text/plain first.
> (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
>       '("text/html" "text/richtext"))

This is how I think it should be.

> And the following line made me buttons without pressing 'K b'.
> (setq gnus-inhibit-mime-unbuttonizing t)

For this one, I just used M-t when needed on the mail - it sticks on
as well.

> I was happy for a moment, but I came to know that hitting 'e' on the
> text/html button did not call netscape any more - slow w3 was
> working.
>
> Is there a way that I can read text/plain first and also read
> text/html though netscape if needed?

This does not sound like regular behaviour - 'e' on the button should
invoke the external reader - you can probably test other things as
well on the matter, but you should recheck .mailcap if you accidentaly
changed it or something.

If it still does that, it might even be a bug.

-- Naked