* Gnus reads incoming mail many, many times with C-u ... g
@ 2000-12-30 21:23 Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 2000-12-30 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I have several nnml groups at level 3 (nnml is the primary select
method, there are no secondary select methods) and one nnimap group
at level 4.  If I hit 'g' in the group buffer, this is what I get
to the *Messages*:

Reading active file from private-nnml via nnml...
nnml: Reading incoming mail from directory...
nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file from private-nnml via nnml...
Reading active file from private-nnml via nnml...done
Checking new news...

nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+xxx.xxx.xxx:yyy...
 [4 times]
nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+xxx.xxx.xxx:yyy...done
 [7 times]
Checking new news...done

Now, let's say that I want to re-scan just nnml groups and ignore
the nnimap group, so I say 'M-3 g'.  I'd expect to get about the
same messages except not those nnimap ones (I also wonder a bit why
it says it updates info for one nnimap group four times and
finishes updating info seven times), but instead I get:

Checking new news...
nnml: Reading incoming mail from directory...
nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
[the two lines above repeated 67 times]
Checking new news...done

Gnus probably works correctly and I'm not saying this is a bug, but
this all feels, uh, weird, and I'd just like to know what's going
on.

[Emacs 20.7 on Linux and Oort Gnus from CVS as of few minutes ago
but seen also with earlier Gnus versions.]

--
Hannu

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-12-30 21:23 UTC | newest]