* Re: Gnus broken after updating some Xemacs packages -- Help 8-[]
@ 1999-07-22 17:10 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-22 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> Gnus would start, but on any attempt to enter a group, or start a new
> message, it would say:
>
> symbol's function definition is  void: mc-install-read-mode
> symbol's function definition is void: mc-install-write-mode

This is mailcrypt.  Maybe that helps a bit.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Gnus broken after updating some Xemacs packages -- Help 8-[]
@ 1999-07-22 17:37 Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-07-22 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, all

As the subject says, I've upgraded some xemacs packages (I never paid
attention, which ;^( ), and after that pgnus 0.95 stopped working.

I thought I'd recompile it, but that didn't help. I then compiled 5.6.45
and it refused working too. Then I let xemacs install 5.6.45 as a package,
and that didn't help either.

Gnus would start, but on any attempt to enter a group, or start a new
message, it would say:

symbol's function definition is  void: mc-install-read-mode
symbol's function definition is void: mc-install-write-mode

What's funny is that it actually enters the group on the second attempt
so I am able to read messages. However, I haven't found a way to
compose a message.

Oh, yeah, FWIW, when I compiled pgnus this last time, I saw these messages:

Compiling /usr/local/tmp/pgnus-0.95/lisp/mm-util.el...
While compiling mm-find-charset-region in file /usr/local/tmp/pgnus-0.95/lisp/mm-util.el:
  ** reference to free variable current-language-environment
  ** reference to free variable language-info-alist
Wrote /usr/local/tmp/pgnus-0.95/lisp/mm-util.elc

Compiling /usr/local/tmp/pgnus-0.95/lisp/rfc2047.el...
While compiling the end of the data in file /usr/local/tmp/pgnus-0.95/lisp/rfc2047.el:
  ** the function encode-coding-region is not known to be defined.
Wrote /usr/local/tmp/pgnus-0.95/lisp/rfc2047.elc

--
Arcady Genkin
"... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate

* Solved (was: Gnus broken after updating some Xemacs packages -- Help 8-[])
@ 1999-07-22 18:35   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-07-22 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> > symbol's function definition is  void: mc-install-read-mode
> > symbol's function definition is void: mc-install-write-mode
>
> This is mailcrypt.  Maybe that helps a bit.

Thanks, Kai!

I don't know what happened now, because all worked before the packages
upgrade... However, I had to disable three mc-related settings in my
.gnus... I wasn't using them anyway (inherited them from somebody
else's .gnus file) ;^).

--
Arcady Genkin
"... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate
of eternal blessedness in the other world..." (S. Kierkegaard)

* Re: Solved (was: Gnus broken after updating some Xemacs packages -- Help 8-[])
@ 1999-07-23 14:29     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-07-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:
>
> > > symbol's function definition is  void: mc-install-read-mode
> > > symbol's function definition is void: mc-install-write-mode
> >
> > This is mailcrypt.  Maybe that helps a bit.
>
> Thanks, Kai!
>
> I don't know what happened now, because all worked before the
> packages upgrade... However, I had to disable three mc-related
> settings in my .gnus... I wasn't using them anyway (inherited them
> from somebody else's .gnus file) ;^).

Serves you right for copying other people's .gnus files without
understanding them!