Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes: > Hrvoje Niksic writes: > > > I still think relieving users by defaulting ms-word to MS Word > > viewers, etc., might be useful, even if strictly against FSF's > > philosophy. > > I think so, to. Defaulting *.doc to ms-word is bad, but I see no harm > in defaulting application/ms-word to MS Word (or something else that > can understand these files). I think defaulting .doc to ms-word is good when running under Win32. Anyway, Debian Linux has an /etc/mime.types file that does what mailcap.el's mailcap-mime-extensions does. I'm not sure how Debian specific it is, but are people open to having Gnus look for it (or maybe a ~/.mime.types file)?