* mailagent and nnml
@ 1997-12-24 18:56 Stephen Zander
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stephen Zander @ 1997-12-24 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone using the above combination?  I'd prefer not to rewrite all
my mailagent rules just to let Gnus split my mail but I'm not sure
what files I need to keep up-to-date, other than the NOV database
for each folder.

Can someone point me in the right direction so I don't have to read the
source code? :)

Stephen
---
"Normality is a statistical illusion." -- me

* Re: mailagent and nnml
@ 1997-12-24 19:12 ` Randal Schwartz
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1997-12-24 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Stephen> Has anyone using the above combination?  I'd prefer not to rewrite all
Stephen> my mailagent rules just to let Gnus split my mail but I'm not sure
Stephen> what files I need to keep up-to-date, other than the NOV database
Stephen> for each folder.

First important rule:  DON'T WRITE INTO ~/Mail! EVER!

Instead, treat it as the same thing as having procmail deliver the
files.  Set up an "incoming" directory, as indicated in the GNUS FAQ
(with my name attached :-).

Stephen> Can someone point me in the right direction so I don't have
Stephen> to read the source code? :)

In my ~/.rules:

    ## the next line cannot have any whitespace or anything after the ;
    ## contrary to what might be expected from reading the docs :-)
    maildir = ~/.incoming;

... and many of these ...

    ## ding lists
    <TO_MERLYN> Return-path: /ding/ {
	    SAVE list.ding.spool;
    };

... and one of these at the end ...

    ## everything else...
    <TO_MERLYN> {
	    SAVE inbox.spool;
    };

In my .gnus.el:

    (setq
     nnmail-use-procmail t
     nnmail-spool-file 'procmail		; same as nnmail-use-procmail :-)
     nnmail-procmail-directory "~/.incoming/"
    )

Works just fine for the 150-300 pieces of mail I get each day.

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@ora.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

* Re: mailagent and nnml
@ 1997-12-24 19:12 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1997-12-24 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 24 Dec 1997, Stephen Zander wrote:

> Has anyone using the above combination?  I'd prefer not to rewrite all
> my mailagent rules just to let Gnus split my mail but I'm not sure
> what files I need to keep up-to-date, other than the NOV database
> for each folder.

I don't use mailagent, but but it would seem that you cvould follow
the Gnus manual's advice for procmail, and have the various folders
sent to spool folders by mailagent, then have gnus slurp those in.

* Re: mailagent and nnml
@ 1997-12-24 19:24   ` Stephen Zander
From: Stephen Zander @ 1997-12-24 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Randal Schwartz wrote:
> Works just fine for the 150-300 pieces of mail I get each day.

Thank-you Randal, that's exactly what I wanted it to handle too.

Stephen
---

@ 1997-12-24 19:47 ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 1997-12-24 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,

	Sure have. I get about 300 messages a day, and I do all my
 splitting in mailagent (excerpts included), and just set up gnus to
 read the procmail-like spool files. (I have several layes of spam
 filtering in my mailagent.rules as well).

	manoj

gnusrc.el settings:
;;
;; Incoming mail setting
(setq
 nnmail-spool-file 'procmail
 nnmail-use-procmail t
 nnmail-procmail-directory "~/var/spool/mail"
 nnmail-procmail-suffix ".spool"
 nnmail-crash-box "~/var/tmp/gnus-crash-box"
 nnmail-tmp-directory "~/var/tmp"
 nnmail-use-long-file-names nil
 nnmail-message-id-cache-file "~/var/spool/news/nnmail/nnmail-cache"
 )

 /debian/i  { REJECT DEBIAN };

<INITIAL> To Cc Sender X-Mn-Key Envelope:
        /(agent)-users/i,
        /(bbdb)-announce/i,
        /info-(bbdb)/i,
        /owner-(c2man)/i,
        /(c2man)\@research/i,
        /(ding)-patches\@/i,
        /(ding)-request/i,
        /(ding)\@ifi.uio.no/i,
        /(ding)\@gnus.org/i,
        /(ding)\@hpc.uh.edu/i,
        /(dist)-users/i,
        /owner-(dist)-users/i,
        /(latex2html)/i
        { ASSIGN list %1; REJECT MailingList };

[...]

<DEBIAN> X-Loop X-Mailing-List To Resent-From Resent-To Resent-Reply-To Cc :
  /(debian-bugs-(closed|forwarded))(-(request|dist))?\@lists.debian.org/i
   { REJECT ClosedBugs };

<DEBIAN> X-Loop X-Mailing-List To Resent-From Resent-To Resent-Reply-To Cc :
   /(debian-[\w-]+)(-(request|dist))?\@lists.debian.org/i
   { ASSIGN list %1;
     SUBST #list /-(digest|request|dist)//gi;
     SUBST #list /devel-changes/changes/i;
     ANNOTATE X-Agent-list debian-list;
     REJECT MailingList;
   };
<DEBIAN>  All:  /./     { ANNOTATE X-Agent-list Unknown;
                          ASSIGN list debian; REJECT MailingList };

<MailingList> { VACATION off; UNIQUE -a;
      TR #list /A-Z/a-z/;  ANNOTATE X-Agent-list %#list;
      SAVE %#list.spool };

 "Oh beautiful, for smoggy skies, o'er insecticide waves of grain, and
 strip-mined mountain's majesty, above the asphalt plains!  America,
 America, man sheds his waste on thee!  And hides the pines, with
 billboard signs, from sea to oily sea!" George Carlin (?)