Hello Emanuel, Emanuel Berg writes: > Can we have - not have this? > > Is it difficult to do, to have it in the background with maybe > in the mode bar or something ... > > The Emacs OS anyone? > > How would you do that? Sorry, unfortunately this message will be a bit long... 😥 In my time using Rmail, I needed a similar solution. In the configurations of cadadr[1] and Alex Schroeder[2] I've found appropriate solutions for what I needed, however I insisted on using the tools I already had on my system, in this case `movemail' from GNU Mailutils, as Rmail needed it for some operations. So I wrote my own ``solution'' (attached---straight from my `init.el'). Basically, its only a library for use `movemail' from Emacs and some small extensions to auto-fetch emails periodically and asynchronously. Each account had their emails stored in a different MBOX file (or a single one, as I prefer this days) in a folder. So I could set this directory as a value to the variable `display-time-mail-directory' and, when detecting that the files are no longer empty, the indicator of new mail is shown in the `mode-line'. When I migrated back to Gnus, I continued using the same method, out of laziness. I simply set the `mail-sources' variable as below: #+begin_src emacs-lisp (setopt mail-sources '((file :path "~/Mail/spool"))) #+end_src My ``solution'' always seemed pretty bloated to me and I believe we already have appropriate libraries in Emacs to auto-fetch emails, in this case `mail-source.el'. What we need, I think, is just to find a way to make it work asynchronously. I've been thinking about this for a while now. It seems to me that we already have the tools to make Gnus fetch new news asynchronously. Very inspired by some suggestions from an EmacsWiki[3] page, here with my settings, for example, if I do the following, with Gnus loaded and open in an Emacs instance: 1. Open a new Emacs; 2. On the new instance, run `M-x gnus-child'; 3. Wait for it to be loaded, then `M-x gnus-group-exit'; 4. On the main instance, unplug Gnus (`gnus-agent-toggle-plugged'); 5. And then `M-x gnus-group-restart'. News fetched with `gnus-child' are loaded in the "Parent" instance. I don't know if we could, in the current state of things, replicate this recipe in a `start-process' or by making use of `async.el'... Perhaps a dear Gnus maintainer can give us some direction on this possibility. If you want to make use of my ``solution'' with `movemail' from GNU Mailutils and need some help, just get in touch and I'll help in any way I can. Footnotes: [1] https://cadadr.dreamwidth.org/828.html [2] https://alexschroeder.ch/wiki/2020-12-17_Rmail [3] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSpeed#h5o-26 -- Regards, Fernando de Morais.