From: Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: useful things with nnselect
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 08:00:00 +0800	[thread overview]

    >> (I have put an artificial limit on the size of the group since
    >> some of my groups have hundreds of thousands of messages, and

    ESF> Mine have tens to hundreds of thousands of emails.  Virtual
    ESF> groups seem to be very fast when all I'm doing is combining
    ESF> groups.  But all of the groups involved in my virtual groupings
    ESF> are nnml: will that make a difference?

Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly---this limit is unnecessary. The only
thing that is slow is retrieving a huge number of headers and processing
them (e.g. threading) to create the summary buffer. This is true for any
group in gnus, including nnvirtual. The combining itself is no problem
and doesn't need this limit; you may either remove it, or just set it to
some very large number.