* create a message, have it in the holster?
@ 2017-09-25  8:31 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-09-25  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

How can I save a mail into a group and then
send it to different destinations whenever
I like, and it will remain there and have the
same contents, ready for next time?

What I tried was I sent it once, then I went to
mail.sent and copied it to mail.send-save, but
when I opened it there I realized it had
headers from the previous sent.

How do I get a clean slate?

I get it I could save the body to a text file
and `insert-file' every time, and it would
amount to just about the same speed, just
thought if there was a cooler way to do it?

PS. Is this a question for
    gmane.emacs.gnus.general or
    gmane.emacs.gnus.user ?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: create a message, have it in the holster?
@ 2017-09-25 15:28 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-09-25 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> How can I save a mail into a group and then
> send it to different destinations whenever
> I like, and it will remain there and have the
> same contents, ready for next time?
>
> What I tried was I sent it once, then I went to
> mail.sent and copied it to mail.send-save, but
> when I opened it there I realized it had
> headers from the previous sent.
>
> How do I get a clean slate?
>
> I get it I could save the body to a text file
> and `insert-file' every time, and it would
> amount to just about the same speed, just
> thought if there was a cooler way to do it?
>
> PS. Is this a question for
>     gmane.emacs.gnus.general or
>     gmane.emacs.gnus.user ?

I've used `gnus-summary-resend-message-edit' ("S D e" in the sent group
*Summary* buffer) to good effect. But I've also gone the `insert-buffer'
route, and also the "compose email from Org" route. They all work fine,
depending on what how you want to use them.

Eric

* Re: create a message, have it in the holster?
@ 2017-09-25 15:38 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-09-25 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> How can I save a mail into a group and then
> send it to different destinations whenever
> I like, and it will remain there and have the
> same contents, ready for next time?
>
> What I tried was I sent it once, then I went to
> mail.sent and copied it to mail.send-save, but
> when I opened it there I realized it had
> headers from the previous sent.
>
> How do I get a clean slate?
>
> I get it I could save the body to a text file
> and `insert-file' every time, and it would
> amount to just about the same speed, just
> thought if there was a cooler way to do it?
>
> PS. Is this a question for
>     gmane.emacs.gnus.general or
>     gmane.emacs.gnus.user ?

PS I don't know that there's any difference between the two lists at
this point, and kind of think it would be better for
gmane.emacs.gnus.user to go away.

* Re: create a message, have it in the holster?
@ 2017-09-25 18:46   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-09-25 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> I've used `gnus-summary-resend-message-edit'
> ("S D e" in the sent group *Summary* buffer)
> to good effect.

"S D e" worked to ~95% satisfaction, only
I deleted four headers before I sent. I don't
know what would have happened if I'd left them
there, if they had been recomputed or not, but
anyway it didn't feel right to not remove
incorrect data.

From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-09-25 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> PS I don't know that there's any difference
> between the two lists at this point, and kind
> of think it would be better for
> gmane.emacs.gnus.user to go away.

PS OK :)

--

@ 2017-09-25 19:32     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-09-25 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> I've used `gnus-summary-resend-message-edit'
>> ("S D e" in the sent group *Summary* buffer)
>> to good effect.
>
> "S D e" worked to ~95% satisfaction, only
> I deleted four headers before I sent. I don't
> know what would have happened if I'd left them
> there, if they had been recomputed or not, but
> anyway it didn't feel right to not remove
> incorrect data.

>     Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 06:41:13 +0200

I think they all would have been recreated as-is, though I don't
actually know if the Date is recomputed, or left as the date the first
mail was sent.

* Re: create a message, have it in the holster?
@ 2017-09-25 21:39       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-09-25 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> I think they all would have been recreated
> as-is, though I don't actually know if the
> Date is recomputed, or left as the date the
> first mail was sent.

Removing them isn't a big deal, and it is
a natural instinct as a programmer, to not have
incorrect data (e.g., the date hö hö) - but one
aspect is, I have Gnus configured to hide/show
certain headers. I wonder if that influences
this, and, in particular, if it could be that
there are incorrect "hidden header" data that
slips by because I don't see/remove them?

I'm going to run some test on this, if it can't
be found in the manual, the answer to the
question "What headers are
recreated/repopulated on send, and does it
influence if the user keeps/removes them prior
to sending?"

For example, there are spam headers. I suppose
spammers can't bypass that by adding a header
"Spam: NO"

:)

--

@ 2017-09-26 14:55   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-09-26 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

Emanual B wrote:
>> PS. Is this a question for
>>     gmane.emacs.gnus.general or
>>     gmane.emacs.gnus.user ?

Eric A wrote
> PS I don't know that there's any difference between the two lists at
> this point, and kind of think it would be better for
> gmane.emacs.gnus.user to go away.

Repectfully wish to disagree with this.

I (for one) continue to use gmane.emacs.gnus.user in this way:
I sometimes have questions about common functioning of gnus, perhaps
things I once knew but forgot and having a time finding in manual.
(and that might be pretty common amongst the 70+ yrs gang I belong to)

Or just things I never had occasion to use until now, but that I know
are long time abilities.

I suppose it could be argued that those very things may well have
changed in more recent versions and therefore more appropriate to
gmane.emacs.gnus.general but as a long time user I think I have some
fairly good notions about what is old stuff or not.

I suspect there are more than a few others who feel they know the
difference and know when to post to which group. In fact I would have
guessed that Emanual B, would have been one of those.

Plus there is always the process of posting to ...user and if no
answer comes in a few days, move it to ...general.

I suppose this is quite subjective, but still, I suspect what I say
above is pretty close to true.

One other point is that it would be a waste of talent to tie up people
like Eric A with mundane questions that can be answered by other old
hands.

* Re: create a message, have it in the holster?
@ 2017-09-26 16:53     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-09-26 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> [...]
>
> Emanual B wrote:
>>> PS. Is this a question for
>>>     gmane.emacs.gnus.general or
>>>     gmane.emacs.gnus.user ?
>>

> Eric A wrote
>> PS I don't know that there's any difference between the two lists at
>> this point, and kind of think it would be better for
>> gmane.emacs.gnus.user to go away.
>
> Repectfully wish to disagree with this.
>
> I (for one) continue to use gmane.emacs.gnus.user in this way:
> I sometimes have questions about common functioning of gnus, perhaps
> things I once knew but forgot and having a time finding in manual.
> (and that might be pretty common amongst the 70+ yrs gang I belong to)

Well, sure -- I guess I wasn't really proposing that we delete the
group, it just seems like both lists are low-traffic enough that we
wouldn't really need two.

> Or just things I never had occasion to use until now, but that I know
> are long time abilities.
>
> I suppose it could be argued that those very things may well have
> changed in more recent versions and therefore more appropriate to
> gmane.emacs.gnus.general but as a long time user I think I have some
> fairly good notions about what is old stuff or not.
>
> I suspect there are more than a few others who feel they know the
> difference and know when to post to which group. In fact I would have
> guessed that Emanual B, would have been one of those.
>
> Plus there is always the process of posting to ...user and if no
> answer comes in a few days, move it to ...general.

I guess it would be less confusing if they were called "user" and
"devel". Anyway, it's certainly no big deal to have two.

> I suppose this is quite subjective, but still, I suspect what I say
> above is pretty close to true.
>
> One other point is that it would be a waste of talent to tie up people
> like Eric A with mundane questions that can be answered by other old
> hands.

That's kind of you, but I don't know how to answer half of the questions
that get posted here!

Eric

* Re: create a message, have it in the holster?
@ 2017-09-26 17:19       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2017-09-26 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric writes:

> I guess it would be less confusing if they were called "user" and
> "devel".

The naming convention was fluid in the early days of Gmane and the ding
list was one that got an unfortunate name.

Oh, and renaming of groups is ... what's the term? ... on the backlog?
TODO-list? One of those things?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "XHTML was history over five years ago. It's time you        Adam Sjøgren
  XML fanatics accept that HTML is a different language  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: create a message, have it in the holster?
@ 2017-09-26 19:46         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-09-26 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Eric writes:
>
>> I guess it would be less confusing if they were called "user" and
>> "devel".
>
> The naming convention was fluid in the early days of Gmane and the ding
> list was one that got an unfortunate name.
>
> Oh, and renaming of groups is ... what's the term? ... on the backlog?
> TODO-list? One of those things?

Pie-in-the-sky? :)

But really, there's nothing so wrong with the present situation that
anything really needs to be "fixed".

* Re: create a message, have it in the holster?
@ 2017-10-01  4:42   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-10-01  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I came up with a good (?) way of doing this.
Yes, you have to set up the function every
time, but on the other hand, how often do you
use something like this? It is my first and I'm
unsure if the situation will be back after I'm
done with it.

    (defun send-pub-mail ()
      (interactive)
      (gnus-post-news 'post "")
      (message-goto-subject) (insert "Borta men inte glömd")
      (message-goto-body)    (insert-file "~/book/mail.txt")
      (message-goto-to) )
    ;; (send-pub-mail)

--

@ 2017-10-01 13:07     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-10-01 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

According to the byte compiler, `insert-file'
is for interactive use only; one should use
`insert-file-contents' instead.

    (defun send-pub-mail ()
      (interactive)
      (gnus-post-news 'post "")
      (message-goto-subject) (insert "Borta men inte glömd")
      (message-goto-body)    (insert-file-contents "~/book/mail.txt")
      (message-goto-to) )
    ;; (send-pub-mail)