* change content type of attachment before sending
@ 2015-11-01  8:31 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-11-01  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

Sometimes I by error want to sent a simple text file
but erroneously

as application/octet-stream instead of text/x-tex.

Can I change the content type before sending (I can of course edit the
attachment line but this is not what I mean)

thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: change content type of attachment before sending
@ 2015-11-01  9:19 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2015-11-01  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Can I change the content type before sending

mml-attach-file prompts you for the type.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: change content type of attachment before sending
@ 2015-11-01 14:50   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-11-01 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Andreas" == Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> mml-attach-file prompts you for the type.

I know that. What I meant is:

Suppose I filled in the prompts and later recognized that I chose the
wrong type, how can I change the type (without editing the TAG)

@ 2015-11-01 14:56     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-11-01 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

> Suppose I filled in the prompts and later recognized that I chose the
> wrong type, how can I change the type (without editing the TAG)

How about deleting the tag and attaching the file again?

What is wrong with editing the tag?!

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Oh, we all like motorcycles, to some degree."               Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: change content type of attachment before sending
@ 2015-11-01 17:25       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-11-01 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Adam" == Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

   > Uwe writes:
   >> Suppose I filled in the prompts and later recognized that I chose the
   >> wrong type, how can I change the type (without editing the TAG)

   > How about deleting the tag and attaching the file again?

Because than I have to type (may be) the whole path of the directory.
Usually I use gnus-dired-attach, but there I don't know how to chose the type

  > What is wrong with editing the tag?!

But what if I don't know the type? The beauty of the interactive call is that it
offers various possibilities which I never remember by heart.

@ 2015-11-01 17:49         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-11-01 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

>> How about deleting the tag and attaching the file again?

> Because than I have to type (may be) the whole path of the directory.
> Usually I use gnus-dired-attach, but there I don't know how to chose
> the type

So the underlying problem is that gnus-dired-attach doesn't prompt you
for the type?

>> What is wrong with editing the tag?!

> But what if I don't know the type?

Then you'll have a hard time choosing it from an interactive list.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "perldoc er din ven.  Og vores."                             Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: change content type of attachment before sending
@ 2015-11-01 19:59           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-11-01 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Adam" == Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

   > Uwe writes:
   >>> How about deleting the tag and attaching the file again?

   > So the underlying problem is that gnus-dired-attach doesn't prompt you
   > for the type?

Right, once I try to cook something up, modify gnus-dired-attach, but it
never worked.

   >>> What is wrong with editing the tag?!

   >> But what if I don't know the type?

   > Then you'll have a hard time choosing it from an interactive list.

This is why it is good to have a choice offered, as does mml-attach-file,

So it would be good to have a function say
mml-attach-change-type which acts on the TAG but offers what
mml-attach-file offers.

* Re: change content type of attachment before sending
@ 2015-11-01 20:18             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-11-01 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

>>> But what if I don't know the type?

>> Then you'll have a hard time choosing it from an interactive list.

> This is why it is good to have a choice offered, as does mml-attach-file,

Uhm, no.

> So it would be good to have a function say
> mml-attach-change-type which acts on the TAG but offers what
> mml-attach-file offers.

Wouldn't it be even better to fix the problem at the root,
gnus-dired-attach?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "file://osv er en del af http fra ruder konges tid."         Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: change content type of attachment before sending
@ 2015-11-02  7:02         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-11-02  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sunday,  1 Nov 2015 at 17:25, Uwe Brauer wrote:

[...]

> But what if I don't know the type? The beauty of the interactive call
> is that it offers various possibilities which I never remember by
> heart.

I am confused.  In your OP, you said you wanted to erroneously set the
type, e.g. to application/octet-stream.  Either you know what you want
to set to (erroneously) or the problem is a more fundamental one in your
mailcap settings?  That is, if I misunderstood you and you in fact want
to correct erroneous file types, the problem is not with mml-xxx but
with your system's settings which mml uses to determine file types.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.5.1 + Ma Gnus v0.14 + evil-git-ff74cfb

* Re: change content type of attachment before sending
@ 2015-11-02 13:56           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-11-02 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Eric" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

   > On Sunday, 1 Nov 2015 at 17:25, Uwe Brauer wrote: [...]

   >> But what if I don't know the type? The beauty of the interactive
   >> call is that it offers various possibilities which I never
   >> remember by heart.

    >  I am confused. In your OP, you said you wanted to erroneously set
    >  the type, e.g. to application/octet-stream. Either you know what
    >  you want to set to (erroneously) or the problem is a more
    >  fundamental one in your mailcap settings? That is, if I
    >  misunderstood you and you in fact want to correct erroneous file
    >  types, the problem is not with mml-xxx but with your system's
    >  settings which mml uses to determine file types.

Ok here is the longer story. It concerns Xemacs and GNU emacs, tex files
and latin-1 and UTF-8 encoding.

Xemacs 21.5.X still uses Mule, while GNU emacs has moved to UFT-8
internally as far as I know.

Now the problem is the following:

    - I send a latex file with latin-1 chars, buffer coding is set to
       latin-1, via gnus as text/x-tex type to a Xemacs user: the
       coding is corrupted.

    - I send a latex file with latin-1 chars, buffer coding is set to
       UTF-8, via gnus as text/x-tex type to a Xemacs user: the
       coding is ok.

Now

    - the user sends it back, but now it is the other way around: if he
       sends using buffer coding is set to latin-1 via gnus as text/x-tex type
       to me: the coding is ok

    - The user  sends it back, buffer coding is set to
       UTF-8  via gnus as text/x-tex type me: the
       coding is corrupted.

GNU emacs ---UTF8-> Xemacs OK
Xemacs    ---latin-1-> GNU emacs ok

The problem can be circumvent using application/octet-stream then both
buffer codings are fine.
But I don't want that for every latex file.

That is why I want to be able to change the mml type, in case I made a
mistake, or using the dired function (since this much more comfortable
to use) which would allow me to chose the coding

@ 2015-11-02 16:34             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-11-02 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday,  2 Nov 2015 at 13:56, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Ok here is the longer story. It concerns Xemacs and GNU emacs, tex files
> and latin-1 and UTF-8 encoding.

Okay, so I did understand your OP correctly.  In this case, how many
different types of files will you want to set?  Not many, probably only
application/octet-stream, so doing it manually seems like the right
solution...

Anyway, good luck with your search for a solution!  At least there's a
possibility you'll achieve it as it's gnus+emacs and not something else
:-)