* merging monthly post-out directories.
@ 2014-12-08 18:47 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-12-08 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

With the new year coming up how do I merge my monthly post-out
directories for 2014 please? That way I can continue quite nicely in
the new year and still have access to the copy emails.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.1.0

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: merging monthly post-out directories.
@ 2014-12-08 20:56 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2014-12-08 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: ding

Sharon Kimble writes:

> With the new year coming up how do I merge my monthly post-out
> directories for 2014 please? That way I can continue quite nicely in
> the new year and still have access to the copy emails.

I am not sure I understand it correctly, but, I would have done it gnus
expiry mechanism for these particular groups.

See if http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ArchivingMail can help.

Regards
--
Xavier

* Re: merging monthly post-out directories.
@ 2014-12-09 18:39 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-12-09 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> With the new year coming up how do I merge my monthly post-out
> directories for 2014 please? That way I can continue quite nicely in
> the new year and still have access to the copy emails.

You can mark the messages you want to move with '#' and then move them
using 'B m', which will prompt you for the group to move the articles
to.

If this doesn't help, you need to describe in more detail what it is you
want to do, please.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Plasmids are circular bits of DNA that bacteria             Adam Sjøgren
  treat like Pokemon - trading with their friends        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: merging monthly post-out directories.
@ 2014-12-09 21:30   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2014-12-09 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

Adam Sjøgren writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> With the new year coming up how do I merge my monthly post-out
>> directories for 2014 please? That way I can continue quite nicely in
>> the new year and still have access to the copy emails.
>
> You can mark the messages you want to move with '#' and then move them
> using 'B m', which will prompt you for the group to move the articles
> to.

Ah good catch !

Regards
--
Xavier

* Re: merging monthly post-out directories.
@ 2014-12-10  2:36   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-12-10  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Thanks for this Adam.

Currently each mail/newsposting sent, has a copy saved under -
"nnfolder+archive:sent.2014-12", for this month. What I would like
to do is to be able to save each of these folders into another one
just for "2014" and thereby taking them out of the folder tree and
putting them one layer further down. Then the new one visible and in
use will be "nnfolder+archive:sent.2015-01"

I could do it easily and manually with copy folder, and paste into
2014 folder, but is it possible to do it as part of a script please?
Or as part of gnus?

@ 2014-12-10 10:25     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-12-10 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon writes:

> "nnfolder+archive:sent.2014-12", for this month. What I would like
> to do is to be able to save each of these folders into another one
> just for "2014"

You can do this by going to each of the 12 folders, marking all the
articles ('C-u 1000 #' or however many you have in each folder), and
then moving them to a new group, using 'B m', called
nnfolder+archive:sent.2014

I think that is the easiest and quickest solution.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Close the door to it all                                    Adam Sjøgren
  A crash and a fireball                                 asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: merging monthly post-out directories.
@ 2014-12-10 14:20       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-12-10 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Sharon writes:
>
>> "nnfolder+archive:sent.2014-12", for this month. What I would like
>> to do is to be able to save each of these folders into another one
>> just for "2014"
>
> You can do this by going to each of the 12 folders, marking all the
> articles ('C-u 1000 #' or however many you have in each folder), and
> then moving them to a new group, using 'B m', called
> nnfolder+archive:sent.2014
>
> I think that is the easiest and quickest solution.

Thanks Adam, that would work, except I want to keep them in the
monthly folders. Although its not what I stated above. It would be
easier to search through them for a particular post if they remained
in their monthly folders, so is it just a matter of renaming the
folders, and then cut and pasting them into one for 2014?

@ 2014-12-10 14:32         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-12-10 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon writes:

>> Sharon writes:

>>> "nnfolder+archive:sent.2014-12"

> Thanks Adam, that would work, except I want to keep them in the
> monthly folders.

Why do you need to change anything, then?

If the folders are named as you wrote previously, then next year you
will get nnfolder+archive:send.2015-01, right?

I don't think I understand what you are trying to achieve.

> easier to search through them for a particular post if they remained
> in their monthly folders, so is it just a matter of renaming the
> folders, and then cut and pasting them into one for 2014?

Are you looking for Group Topics? I.e. grouping of folders?

See: http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_34.html#SEC34

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Could you tell me what the status of Gnus                   Adam Sjøgren
  development currently is, and these limited features   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: merging monthly post-out directories.
@ 2014-12-11  2:53           ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-12-11  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Sharon writes:

>> Thanks Adam, that would work, except I want to keep them in the
>> monthly folders.
>
> Why do you need to change anything, then?
>
> If the folders are named as you wrote previously, then next year you
> will get nnfolder+archive:send.2015-01, right?
>
> I don't think I understand what you are trying to achieve.

What I'm looking to create is a folder for 2014, which contains 12
other folders each relating to its month of the year, and holding
all the emails and newsgroups postings out for that month.

Then it appears in my gnus tree that I have monthly folders of
outgoing for 2015, and one big folder of 2014, which, when you look
inside has 12 separate folders corresponding to each month of the
year.

>> easier to search through them for a particular post if they remained
>> in their monthly folders, so is it just a matter of renaming the
>> folders, and then cut and pasting them into one for 2014?
>
> Are you looking for Group Topics? I.e. grouping of folders?
>
> See: http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_34.html#SEC34

I had a look at "group topics" but that doesn't seem to be what I'm
looking for.

@ 2014-12-11  5:57             ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2014-12-11  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: ding

Sharon Kimble writes:

[...]

>>> easier to search through them for a particular post if they remained
>>> in their monthly folders, so is it just a matter of renaming the
>>> folders, and then cut and pasting them into one for 2014?
>>
>> Are you looking for Group Topics? I.e. grouping of folders?
>>
>> See: http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_34.html#SEC34
>>
> I had a look at "group topics" but that doesn't seem to be what I'm
> looking for.

You request is something like a "nested folders" structure wich can be
elegantly and easily implemented via 'group topics'.

Something like this:

____Post out <----- GROUP TOPIC
| |____2014  <----- GROUP TOPIC level+1
| | |____1   <----- YOUR FOLDERS
| | |____10
| | |____11
| | |____12
| | |____2
| | |____3
| | |____4
| | |____5
| | |____6
| | |____7
| | |____8
| | |____9
| |____2015

Does that make sense ?

Regards
--
Xavier

* Re: merging monthly post-out directories.
@ 2014-12-12 22:02             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-12-12 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon writes:

> What I'm looking to create is a folder for 2014, which contains 12
> other folders each relating to its month of the year, and holding
> all the emails and newsgroups postings out for that month.

Ok, you can do this by moving the emails from the existing folder:

  nnfolder+archive:sent.2014-12

to a new folder:

  nnfolder+archive:sent.2014/12

On disk the articles will then be stored in the file
~/Mail/archive/sent.2014/12 instead of in ~/Mail/archive/sent.2014-12

Note, however, that Gnus will show these subfolders uncollapsed (as far
as I can tell, maybe someone who uses subfolders regularly can correct
me), so there isn't much point in doing so, as far as I can see.

But since new email isn't written to those groups, they aren't show
anyway, right?

> I had a look at "group topics" but that doesn't seem to be what I'm
> looking for.

I think topics is the closest you're going to get. Then you can put all
your sent.2014-groups under a [2014] topic and close it.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It was called Tinderbox so we could make the joke,          Adam Sjøgren
  'the tree is on fire'. Puns are very important in      asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: merging monthly post-out directories.
@ 2015-01-04 18:04       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-01-04 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
> Sharon writes:
>
>> "nnfolder+archive:sent.2014-12", for this month. What I would like
>> to do is to be able to save each of these folders into another one
>> just for "2014"
>
> You can do this by going to each of the 12 folders, marking all the
> articles ('C-u 1000 #' or however many you have in each folder), and
> then moving them to a new group, using 'B m', called
> nnfolder+archive:sent.2014
>
> I think that is the easiest and quickest solution.

I agree Adam, and that's what I've just done. The whole process took
about 20 minutes, including checking that they’re all been moved
over, unsubscribing the empty folders, and then killing them.

I decided in the end that I wouldn't really have any benefit keeping
them in monthly folders, not now I've got the searching working
well. So I'll now just update the "namazu" database, and then I'm
all set for 2015! :)