* Gnus hangs when calling gpg
@ 2014-02-26 16:45 Julien Cubizolles
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2014-02-26 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On a fresh install, gnus hangs whenever it invokes gpg with:

  call-process("/usr/bin/gpg" nil (t nil) nil "--with-colons" "--list-config")
  apply(call-process "/usr/bin/gpg" nil (t nil) nil ("--with-colons"
"--list-config"))
  epg-configuration()
  (epg-check-configuration (epg-configuration))

This happens when I try to byte-compile the latest git (stuck at building
deuglify.el) or load 'gnus-registry.

Whether  it's a problem with gpg or Emacs, I don't know. I'm running Emacs
24.3.50.2 on Ubuntu 13.10. Any idea what I should try to investigate further ?

Julien, stuck without gnus on his shiny new computer.

* Re: Gnus hangs when calling gpg
@ 2014-02-26 18:29 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-02-26 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> Whether  it's a problem with gpg or Emacs, I don't know. I'm running Emacs
> 24.3.50.2 on Ubuntu 13.10. Any idea what I should try to investigate further ?

I just updated my local repo and did a configure and make without any
problem; this is on Debian unstable and the emacs-snapshot package of
GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1.

Just a datapoint; haven't got a clue what the problem might be...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I'm a man of few words." "Maybe if you read more,           Adam Sjøgren
  you'd have a larger vocabulary."                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Gnus hangs when calling gpg
@ 2014-02-27 10:54 ` Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2014-02-27 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I recently had a similar sounding issue - turns out the pgp key lookup
servers were going through a bad patch and lookups were hanging my emacs session.

I switched to

keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net

and all was good.  Just a thought.

--
Matt

* Re: Gnus hangs when calling gpg
@ 2014-02-27 14:28 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-02-27 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 16:45:31 +0000 (UTC) Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> wrote:

JC> On a fresh install, gnus hangs whenever it invokes gpg with:
JC>   call-process("/usr/bin/gpg" nil (t nil) nil "--with-colons" "--list-config")
JC>   apply(call-process "/usr/bin/gpg" nil (t nil) nil ("--with-colons"
JC> "--list-config"))
JC>   epg-configuration()
JC>   (epg-check-configuration (epg-configuration))

JC> This happens when I try to byte-compile the latest git (stuck at building
JC> deuglify.el) or load 'gnus-registry.

JC> Whether  it's a problem with gpg or Emacs, I don't know. I'm running Emacs
JC> 24.3.50.2 on Ubuntu 13.10. Any idea what I should try to investigate further ?

I would first disable gpg temporarily, if possible, and test.  If it
works, you can reenable it after Gnus is up.

I'd like to avoid this, especially at the byte-compile stage.  Looks
like ./lisp/epg-config.el:epg-configuration is doing the calling to
investigate GnuPG's capabilities.  That in turn is called by
mml-smime.el and mml1991.el and mml2015.el.

Daiki Ueno should probably comment on the necessity of this invocation,
since it can hang for many reasons and I would guess is not essential to
basic Gnus usage.

JC> Julien, stuck without gnus on his shiny new computer.

The humanity! :)

Ted

* Re: Gnus hangs when calling gpg
@ 2014-03-04  5:03   ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2014-03-04  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I'd like to avoid this, especially at the byte-compile stage.  Looks
> like ./lisp/epg-config.el:epg-configuration is doing the calling to
> investigate GnuPG's capabilities.  That in turn is called by
> mml-smime.el and mml1991.el and mml2015.el.

Agreed, assuming that you mean something like:

(defvar mml2015-use 'epg
  "The package used for PGP/MIME.
Valid packages include `epg', `pgg' and `mailcrypt'.")

(unless noninteractive
   (condition-case nil
       (progn
	 (require 'epg-config)
	 (epg-check-configuration (epg-configuration))
	 (setq mml2015-use 'epg))
     (error))
   ...)

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Gnus hangs when calling gpg
@ 2014-03-05 14:05     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-05 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: ding

Daiki Ueno <ueno@gnu.org> writes:

> Agreed, assuming that you mean something like:
>
> (defvar mml2015-use 'epg
>   "The package used for PGP/MIME.
> Valid packages include `epg', `pgg' and `mailcrypt'.")
>
> (unless noninteractive
>    (condition-case nil
>        (progn
> 	 (require 'epg-config)
> 	 (epg-check-configuration (epg-configuration))
> 	 (setq mml2015-use 'epg))
>      (error))
>    ...)

I haven't looked at the code, so I may be misinterpreting this, bout
shouldn't this wait until epg is actually used?  This shouldn't be set
at either load time or compile time, but when it's used...

* Re: Gnus hangs when calling gpg
@ 2014-03-06  3:28       ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2014-03-06  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

> I haven't looked at the code, so I may be misinterpreting this, bout
> shouldn't this wait until epg is actually used?

This is a check to make sure "recent enough" version (>= 1.4.3, for some
reason) of GnuPG is available on the system.  Otherwise, it tries pgg,
then mailcrypt.  If we checked that in, say mml2015-epg-sign, it would
be too late.

However, I tend to agree 'require' check is enough for this case, since
1.4.3 is already pretty old (which was released 8 years ago).

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Gnus hangs when calling gpg
@ 2014-03-06 14:10         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-03-06 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 12:28:57 +0900 Daiki Ueno <ueno@gnu.org> wrote:

DU> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>> I haven't looked at the code, so I may be misinterpreting this, bout
>> shouldn't this wait until epg is actually used?

DU> This is a check to make sure "recent enough" version (>= 1.4.3, for some
DU> reason) of GnuPG is available on the system.  Otherwise, it tries pgg,
DU> then mailcrypt.  If we checked that in, say mml2015-epg-sign, it would
DU> be too late.

DU> However, I tend to agree 'require' check is enough for this case, since
DU> 1.4.3 is already pretty old (which was released 8 years ago).

I agree.  If it breaks for some users, we can handle the bug reports on
the Gnus side, if you find it acceptable on the EPA/EPG side.

Let me know if I can help further.  It seems you have the fix in mind already.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Gnus hangs when calling gpg
@ 2014-03-07  7:28           ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2014-03-07  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> DU> However, I tend to agree 'require' check is enough for this case, since
> DU> 1.4.3 is already pretty old (which was released 8 years ago).
>
> I agree.  If it breaks for some users, we can handle the bug reports on
> the Gnus side, if you find it acceptable on the EPA/EPG side.

Done.  Maybe later I'll add extra checks in mml2015-epg-* to notify
users when no usable gpg command is available, in a similar manner as
when the MIME part is corrupted.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno