* Just a bit confused about following gnus devel branch
@ 2012-02-05 13:17 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-02-05 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've followed some of the discussion of gnus development plans,
nognus, magnus, but didn't really understand what is happening there.

I'm left not having a clue of how a gnus users who has tracked
nognus from way back through its other names is to continue tracking
the development branch.

Can someone say definitively, what git command is required now to
start and continue tracking the development branch of gnus?

* Re: Just a bit confused about following gnus devel branch
@ 2012-02-05 14:23 ` Ted Zlatanov
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-02-05 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 08:17:21 -0500 Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

HP> I've followed some of the discussion of gnus development plans,
HP> nognus, magnus, but didn't really understand what is happening there.

HP> I'm left not having a clue of how a gnus users who has tracked
HP> nognus from way back through its other names is to continue tracking
HP> the development branch.

HP> Can someone say definitively, what git command is required now to
HP> start and continue tracking the development branch of gnus?

We're doing a basic "branch per release" approach as explained in
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/10/software-branching-and-parallel-universes.html

The "master" branch is development.  Currently that's known as Ma (真)
Gnus.  No Gnus lives in a new branch called "no-gnus" which was branched
off 5 days ago; until then No Gnus was "master".  We're simply branching
off older versions for bug fixes and maintenance, while we're keeping
the "master" branch as the development branch as it's always been.

So, you just need to clone the gnus.git repo.  You should be in the
"master" branch by default (type "git branch" to be sure).  If you're
not, "git checkout master" will do it.

Ted

* Re: Just a bit confused about following gnus devel branch
@ 2012-02-05 14:40   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-02-05 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 08:17:21 -0500 Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
> HP> I've followed some of the discussion of gnus development plans,
> HP> nognus, magnus, but didn't really understand what is happening there.
>
> HP> I'm left not having a clue of how a gnus users who has tracked
> HP> nognus from way back through its other names is to continue tracking
> HP> the development branch.
>
> HP> Can someone say definitively, what git command is required now to
> HP> start and continue tracking the development branch of gnus?
>
> We're doing a basic "branch per release" approach as explained in
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/10/software-branching-and-parallel-universes.html
>
> The "master" branch is development.  Currently that's known as Ma (真)
> Gnus.  No Gnus lives in a new branch called "no-gnus" which was branched
> off 5 days ago; until then No Gnus was "master".  We're simply branching
> off older versions for bug fixes and maintenance, while we're keeping
> the "master" branch as the development branch as it's always been.
>
> So, you just need to clone the gnus.git repo.  You should be in the
> "master" branch by default (type "git branch" to be sure).  If you're
> not, "git checkout master" will do it.

And the gnus.git repo is currently where?

* Re: Just a bit confused about following gnus devel branch
@ 2012-02-05 15:28   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-02-05 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 08:17:21 -0500 Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
> HP> I've followed some of the discussion of gnus development plans,
> HP> nognus, magnus, but didn't really understand what is happening there.
>
> HP> I'm left not having a clue of how a gnus users who has tracked
> HP> nognus from way back through its other names is to continue tracking
> HP> the development branch.
>
> HP> Can someone say definitively, what git command is required now to
> HP> start and continue tracking the development branch of gnus?
>
> We're doing a basic "branch per release" approach as explained in
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/10/software-branching-and-parallel-universes.html
>
> The "master" branch is development.  Currently that's known as Ma (真)

Is "ma" for master? Naming horrors ;) Daily people ask what "no gnus"
means in #emacs and similar. I guess its to continue. I too was
completely bedazzled by the new changes merely on the basis of the
names.

* Re: Just a bit confused about following gnus devel branch
@ 2012-02-05 16:26     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-02-05 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

Hi Harry,

> And the gnus.git repo is currently where?

Where it has been the last few years:

  https://git.gnus.org/gnus.git

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Just a bit confused about following gnus devel branch
@ 2012-02-05 20:27   ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2012-02-05 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

05/02/12 15:23, Ted Zlatanov
> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 08:17:21 -0500 Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
> HP> I've followed some of the discussion of gnus development plans,
> HP> nognus, magnus, but didn't really understand what is happening there.
>
> HP> I'm left not having a clue of how a gnus users who has tracked
> HP> nognus from way back through its other names is to continue tracking
> HP> the development branch.
>
> HP> Can someone say definitively, what git command is required now to
> HP> start and continue tracking the development branch of gnus?
>
> We're doing a basic "branch per release" approach as explained in
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/10/software-branching-and-parallel-universes.html
>
> The "master" branch is development.  Currently that's known as Ma (真)
> Gnus.  No Gnus lives in a new branch called "no-gnus" which was branched
> off 5 days ago; until then No Gnus was "master".  We're simply branching
> off older versions for bug fixes and maintenance, while we're keeping
> the "master" branch as the development branch as it's always been.
>
> So, you just need to clone the gnus.git repo.  You should be in the
> "master" branch by default (type "git branch" to be sure).  If you're
> not, "git checkout master" will do it.

What about synchronisation with emacs? Does emacs track nognus? Will it
continue doing so after feature freeze? Do I have to track gnus
specifically in addition to emacs to benefit from the latest features?

* Re: Just a bit confused about following gnus devel branch
@ 2012-02-06  1:34     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-02-06  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

antoine.levitt@gmail.com wrote:

AFAIU, and what I'm doing is:

> What about synchronisation with emacs?
> Does emacs track nognus?

Emacs trunk and Gnus no-gnus branch are being synchronized now.

> Will it continue doing so after feature freeze?

I'm going to make Emacs trunk and Gnus trunk (Ma gnus) get synch'd
after Emacs 24.1 release.

@ 2012-02-06  3:57     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2012-02-06  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Is "ma" for master? Naming horrors ;) Daily people ask what "no gnus"
> means in #emacs and similar. I guess its to continue. I too was
> completely bedazzled by the new changes merely on the basis of the
> names.

The answer is in the Gnus info file.  Check the History/Gnus Versions section under the Appendices.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Just a bit confused about following gnus devel branch
@ 2012-02-06  6:34 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-02-06  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Can someone say definitively, what git command is required now to
> start and continue tracking the development branch of gnus?

 mkdir ~/git/
 git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git
 cd gnus
 ./configure
 make; cd lisp; make tags

If you do "git branch" in the ~/git/gnus/ directory, you will see that
you are on the master branch.  This is where gnus development will take
place.

To update, I do these two commands:
 (cd ~/git/gnus; git pull)
 (cd ~/git/gnus; make clean; make; cd lisp; make tags)

* Re: Just a bit confused about following gnus devel branch
@ 2012-02-09 14:01       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-02-09 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hi Harry,
>
>> And the gnus.git repo is currently where?
>
> Where it has been the last few years:
>
>   https://git.gnus.org/gnus.git

Ackk and so it is.  Sorry for my confusion.

* Re: Just a bit confused about following gnus devel branch
@ 2012-02-09 14:09         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-02-09 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

>>> And the gnus.git repo is currently where?
>>
>> Where it has been the last few years:
>>
>>   https://git.gnus.org/gnus.git
>
> Ackk and so it is.  Sorry for my confusion.

No problem, we already got used to it. ;-)

SCNR,
Tassilo