* automatically set expiry mark
@ 2011-12-21 13:49 Carson Chittom
From: Carson Chittom @ 2011-12-21 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dear Gnusians,

For various boring reasons I won't get into, sometimes I use Gnus (via
nnimap) to read my mail from our Exchange server, and sometimes I use
Outlook.  Outlook starts to slow down immensely if my Inbox gets too
large, so I regularly move old messages to an archive folder.

In my ~/.gnus.el, I've got

;; Make expired messages go to Archive folder
(setq nnmail-expiry-target "nnimap+MSPB:Archive")

so I just manually mark older messages as expired.

What I'd like to do is automatically mark read messages in my Inbox as
expired, so I don't periodically have to go through and mark, say, a
hundred of them manually.  Is this possible?  I looked in the manual at
what seemed likely in the index, but nothing popped out at me.

* Re: automatically set expiry mark
@ 2011-12-21 17:27 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-12-21 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Carson Chittom <carson.chittom@mspb.ms.gov> writes:

> Dear Gnusians,
>
> For various boring reasons I won't get into, sometimes I use Gnus (via
> nnimap) to read my mail from our Exchange server, and sometimes I use
> Outlook.  Outlook starts to slow down immensely if my Inbox gets too
> large, so I regularly move old messages to an archive folder.
>
> In my ~/.gnus.el, I've got
>
> ;; Make expired messages go to Archive folder
> (setq nnmail-expiry-target "nnimap+MSPB:Archive")
>
> so I just manually mark older messages as expired.
>
> What I'd like to do is automatically mark read messages in my Inbox as
> expired, so I don't periodically have to go through and mark, say, a
> hundred of them manually.  Is this possible?  I looked in the manual at
> what seemed likely in the index, but nothing popped out at me.

If you type "G c" in the *Group* buffer for the Inbox group, you can
adjust settings to do what you want.  In particular, look for:

,----
| [X] Automatic Expire
|     All articles that are read will be marked as expirable.
|
| [X] Expire Wait: [Value Menu] 14
|     When to expire. More
`----

(not contiguous in the buffer).

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1 + No Gnus v0.18

* Re: automatically set expiry mark
@ 2011-12-21 18:20 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-12-21 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> In my ~/.gnus.el, I've got

> ;; Make expired messages go to Archive folder
> (setq nnmail-expiry-target "nnimap+MSPB:Archive")

> so I just manually mark older messages as expired.

> What I'd like to do is automatically mark read messages in my Inbox as
> expired, so I don't periodically have to go through and mark, say, a
> hundred of them manually.  Is this possible?

Yep.

> I looked in the manual at what seemed likely in the index, but nothing
> popped out at me.

total-expire is what you're looking for.

Here's what I've got in the group parameters of my inbox:
 (total-expire . t)
 (expiry-target . "nnimap+myserver:INBOX.archive")

Note: I haven't set expiry-target globally, because it seems like a
      group-specific property...

* Re: automatically set expiry mark
@ 2011-12-21 18:29   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-12-21 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> ,----
> | [X] Automatic Expire
> |     All articles that are read will be marked as expirable.
> |
> | [X] Expire Wait: [Value Menu] 14
> |     When to expire. More
> `----

Note: "Automatic Expire" and "Total Expire" (that I suggested) are two
different ways of achieving exipry of read articles.

With "Automatic Expire" the articles are marked as E when you read
them (I think...?  I've never tried it...).

With "Total Expire" read articles are marked as O, and when expiring all
articles marked O, are candidates for expiry.

* Re: automatically set expiry mark
@ 2011-12-22 14:05   ` Carson Chittom
From: Carson Chittom @ 2011-12-22 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Carson Chittom <carson.chittom@mspb.ms.gov> writes:

>> What I'd like to do is automatically mark read messages in my Inbox as
>> expired, so I don't periodically have to go through and mark, say, a
>> hundred of them manually.  Is this possible?  I looked in the manual at
>> what seemed likely in the index, but nothing popped out at me.
>
> If you type "G c" in the *Group* buffer for the Inbox group, you can
> adjust settings to do what you want.  In particular, look for:
>
> ,----
> | [X] Automatic Expire
> |     All articles that are read will be marked as expirable.
> |
> | [X] Expire Wait: [Value Menu] 14
> |     When to expire. More
> `----

Where is this saved if the interface is used?  I'd rather put it in with
all the rest of my Gnus configuration.  Am I reading the manual
correctly that this is equivalent to putting the following in ~/.gnus.el?

,-----
| (setq gnus-parameters
|       '(("nnimap+MSPB:Inbox"
|         (auto-expire . t)
|         (expiry-wait . 14))))
`-----

As I read it, the difference between auto-expire and total-expire is
that the former only marks read articles as expirable (and they are then
expired according to expiry-wait or nnmail-expiry-wait), whereas the
latter immediately expires read articles (either deleting them, or if
set up, moving them to the place specified by expiry-target or
nnmail-expiry-target).  Is that correct?

* Re: automatically set expiry mark
@ 2011-12-22 14:22     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-12-22 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Where is this saved if the interface is used?

In the group parameters of the group, in .newsrc.eld.

> I'd rather put it in with all the rest of my Gnus configuration.  Am I
> reading the manual correctly that this is equivalent to putting the
> following in ~/.gnus.el?

> ,-----
> | (setq gnus-parameters
> |       '(("nnimap+MSPB:Inbox"
> |         (auto-expire . t)
> |         (expiry-wait . 14))))
> `-----

Can't say.  I don't use gnus-parameters myself.

> As I read it, the difference between auto-expire and total-expire is
> that the former only marks read articles as expirable (and they are
> then expired according to expiry-wait or nnmail-expiry-wait), whereas
> the latter immediately expires read articles (either deleting them, or
> if set up, moving them to the place specified by expiry-target or
> nnmail-expiry-target).  Is that correct?

Well, that's how I read the docs, as well.  I can vouch for that
total-expire works as you describe it.