* Mails read in other gnusae still showing in gnus as unread
@ 2011-12-17 11:08 Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2011-12-17 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello Gnusers,

I have gnus files .gnus.el, .gnus.eld, .newsrc .newsrc.eld and also News
and Mail folders synchronized through Dropbox. After having read mails on
one machine I still can see on another machine in the *group* buffer
these mails as unread. Restarting gnus, or "g" on the group doesn't
help. After entering the group, a summary will display with no unread
mail though.

How can I help it? Are there other gnus files which I am not
synchronizing?

Gnus v5.13 with emacs 23.3.1 on debian here.

The only settings relevant to groups in gnus.el:

(add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook 'gnus-group-set-timestamp)

Thanks,
Vitalie.

* Re: Mails read in other gnusae still showing in gnus as unread
@ 2011-12-17 14:21 ` Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2011-12-17 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit.list@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Gnusers,
>
> I have gnus files .gnus.el, .gnus.eld, .newsrc .newsrc.eld and also News
> and Mail folders synchronized through Dropbox. After having read mails on
> one machine I still can see on another machine in the *group* buffer
> these mails as unread. Restarting gnus, or "g" on the group doesn't
> help. After entering the group, a summary will display with no unread
> mail though.

On a related note, if I send to a mail list (through imap) which I am
subscribed to, gnus in the *Group* buffer start showing (after some
time) one new unread mail (my mail of course) when I enter the group the
summary buffer contains no unread mail.

What is going on here, really? In both of my problems above gnus
actually knows that I have no unread mail, but "*Group*" buffer still
shows them as unread.

@ 2012-01-03 20:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-01-03 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitalie Spinu; +Cc: ding

Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit.list@gmail.com> writes:

> I have gnus files .gnus.el, .gnus.eld, .newsrc .newsrc.eld and also News
> and Mail folders synchronized through Dropbox. After having read mails on
> one machine I still can see on another machine in the *group* buffer
> these mails as unread.

.newsrc-dribble may also be relevant...

* Re: Mails read in other gnusae still showing in gnus as unread
@ 2012-01-07 18:14   ` Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2012-01-07 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

> .newsrc-dribble may also be relevant...

Thanks, I synchronized all gnus directories and it works properly now.

Here is my full sync setup in case anyone else will ever stumble on this.

(require 'gnus)
(setq message-directory "~/Dropbox/.main/Mail/"
      gnus-home-directory "~/Dropbox/.main/"
      gnus-default-directory "~/Dropbox/.main/"
      gnus-directory "~/Dropbox/.main/News/"
      gnus-article-save-directory "~/Dropbox/.main/News/"
      gnus-kill-files-directory "~/Dropbox/.main/News/"
      gnus-cache-directory "~/Dropbox/.main/News/cache/"
      )

;;;;_ ARCHIVE
;; takes effect only on the very first initialization of gnus
(setq gnus-message-archive-method
      '(nnfolder "archive"
		 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)
		 (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
		 (nnfolder-active-file "~/Dropbox/.main/Mail/archive/active")
		 (nnfolder-directory "~/Dropbox/.main/Mail/archive")))
;; (setq gnus-update-message-archive-method t) ;; doesn't seem to work
as advertised, edit gnus.eld directly to have an effect

Cheers,
Vitalie.