* getting news
@ 2011-02-08 17:54 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-02-08 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I get all my news from Gmane.  When I start Gnus, my news is quickly
downloaded.  But when I do `g', it's been slowed, I don't know how much
but too much for me to not do `C-g', quit Gnus and start it
again---'cause that works.

Is there a reason for this difference?

Emacs 24.0.50 and Gnus v5.13

* Re: getting news
@ 2011-02-08 18:22 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-08 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: ding

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Sean,

> I get all my news from Gmane.  When I start Gnus, my news is quickly
> downloaded.  But when I do `g', it's been slowed, I don't know how
> much but too much for me to not do `C-g', quit Gnus and start it
> again---'cause that works.

And to be totally sure: you didn't rebind `g' to something different
than `gnus-group-get-new-news', right?

> Is there a reason for this difference?

There shouldn't be a difference.  When you say "slowed" and you are
forced to C-g, I read it as "it hangs".  After you hit C-g because of
such a hang, what are the last few lines in your *imap log* buffer?

If it's 2 consecutive NOOPs, then join the thread starting with
<87ipww6pzc.fsf@member.fsf.org>.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: getting news
@ 2011-02-08 19:06   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-02-08 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

    Hi Sean,

    > I get all my news from Gmane.  When I start Gnus, my news is quickly
    > downloaded.  But when I do `g', it's been slowed, I don't know how
    > much but too much for me to not do `C-g', quit Gnus and start it
    > again---'cause that works.

    And to be totally sure: you didn't rebind `g' to something different
    than `gnus-group-get-new-news', right?

Right.  g does gnus-group-get-new-news.

    > Is there a reason for this difference?

    There shouldn't be a difference.  When you say "slowed" and you are
    forced to C-g, I read it as "it hangs".  After you hit C-g because of
    such a hang, what are the last few lines in your *imap log* buffer?

Yep, hangs.  I'm using nntp ... last few lines of my *gnus trace*?

    If it's 2 consecutive NOOPs, then join the thread starting with
    <87ipww6pzc.fsf@member.fsf.org>.

    Bye,
    Tassilo

Thanks, Tassilo.

* Re: getting news
@ 2011-02-08 19:54     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-08 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: ding

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Sean,

>     > Is there a reason for this difference?
>
>     There shouldn't be a difference.  When you say "slowed" and you are
>     forced to C-g, I read it as "it hangs".  After you hit C-g because of
>     such a hang, what are the last few lines in your *imap log* buffer?
>
> Yep, hangs.  I'm using nntp ... last few lines of my *gnus trace*?

At least that wouldn't help me.  I think the problem in the other thread
is imap specific.

Maybe your problem is related to the new asynchronous nntp fetching
James is also struggeling with in <m3lj1qgxyu.fsf@jhcloos.com>?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: getting news
@ 2011-02-08 20:58       ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-02-08 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    At least that wouldn't help me.  I think the problem in the other thread
    is imap specific.

    Maybe your problem is related to the new asynchronous nntp fetching
    James is also struggeling with in <m3lj1qgxyu.fsf@jhcloos.com>?

    Bye,
    Tassilo

Thanks for your time, Tassilo.  Right?  There are a couple of nntp
threads that seem to be related to this.

* Re: getting news
@ 2011-02-08 23:37 ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-02-08 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Still playing with this ...

I did g, and Gnus hung.  I did C-g, and g again.  Gnus got my news in an
unremarkable amount of time.

My *gnus trace*:

18:29:09 (nntp "news.gmane.org")

This sure doesn't seem to be much (g, C-g and g then works without
hanging) to me, but it seems vaguely familiar.  Like I've seen the issue
before.