Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes: > Looking at the rfc, the % character isn't valid in the flags, but it has > char syntax for the `read' command, so substing \ with % before reading > should do the trick (and be really fast). I did a timing comparison between my Dec 2009 version of Gnus and current git when entering an IMAP group with about 6500 articles. Dec 2009: 11.1 seconds git: 10.8 seconds Great! With the patch below applied, the time reduces further to 10.4 seconds. But I don't know if it will break things for others. (I've used it for several months now without noticing a problem.) Interestingly, with my Dec 2009 version, the patch below reduces the time from 11.1 to 10.5 seconds, a bigger change than with git, and almost matching the git+patch time. Did the older nnimap.el use the read trick? If not, then it must have been more efficient in some other way to come so close to the time that the current version uses. Dan