* pop3.el and SSL
@ 2009-08-03 15:38 Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2009-08-03 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I'm trying to enable SSL (STARTTLS maybe later) for my POP3
accounts and installed Emacs 23.1.1/Gnus v5.13 for that rea-
son. I can access the server with no problems on the command
line by:

| [tim@passepartout ~]$ openssl s_client -host pop3.strato.de -port pop3s

or

| [tim@passepartout ~]$ gnutls-cli -p 995 pop3.strato.de

If I put that into an element for mail-sources:

| (pop :server "pop3.strato.de"
|      :port "pop3s"
|      :user "private"
|      :password "private"
|      :stream ssl)

on getting new mail, *Messages* shows:

| Opening TLS connection to `pop3.strato.de'...
| Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli -p 995 pop3.strato.de'...done
| Opening TLS connection to `pop3.strato.de'...done

and then a question appears in the message buffer "Mail
source error ([...]) (POP connexion failed). Continue?". No
mail is ever downloaded, even though sometimes no error mes-
sage pops up (caching of a failed connection?).

  The stream type is not documented in the *info* manual,
and the documentation on SSL for IMAP is rather thin. So how
do I find out what is wrong?

TIA,
Tim

P. S.: Is there any particular reason why the error message
       reads "conne*x*ion failed" and not "conne*ct*ion
       failed"?

* Re: pop3.el and SSL
@ 2009-08-04 14:58 ` Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 2009-08-04 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Tim Landscheidt

Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> writes:

> and then a question appears in the message buffer "Mail
> source error ([...]) (POP connexion failed). Continue?". No
> mail is ever downloaded, even though sometimes no error mes-
> sage pops up (caching of a failed connection?).

Could it be a timeout problem?  We have a rather slow mail server and (a
long time ago, so I don't remember the details) I had to add the lines
below in ~/.gnus to get around timeout issues:

(setq pop3-read-timeout 2.0)
(setq nnheader-read-timeout 2.0)

Cheers,

--Denys

* Re: pop3.el and SSL
@ 2009-08-05  0:02   ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2009-08-05  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Denys Duchier <denys.duchier@univ-orleans.fr> wrote:

>> and then a question appears in the message buffer "Mail
>> source error ([...]) (POP connexion failed). Continue?". No
>> mail is ever downloaded, even though sometimes no error mes-
>> sage pops up (caching of a failed connection?).

> Could it be a timeout problem?  We have a rather slow mail server and (a
> long time ago, so I don't remember the details) I had to add the lines
> below in ~/.gnus to get around timeout issues:

> (setq pop3-read-timeout 2.0)
> (setq nnheader-read-timeout 2.0)

Wow, that solved it immediately. Thanks!

  Has anyone been able to use the default values with SSL
servers?

Tim