* Changes for Emacs 23.1
@ 2009-07-06 12:48 David Engster
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Engster @ 2009-07-06 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

You've probably read on emacs-devel that Emacs 23 is targeted for Jul
29. As a last change regarding nnmairix, I'd like to include "^nnmairix"
into gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups as a default. If someone is opposed
to this (Ted?), please let me know.

I also noticed that the documentation for nnir is still a stub. Since
I've never used nnir, I don't feel competent enough to write something
up. I think if nnir isn't properly documented, it should be removed from
Emacs 23.

-David

* Re: Changes for Emacs 23.1
@ 2009-07-06 18:30 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-07-06 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

Hi David,

> I also noticed that the documentation for nnir is still a stub. Since
> I've never used nnir, I don't feel competent enough to write something
> up.

I think at least the config for nnimap groups is so easy, that it could
be added to the normal section about imap.

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "Fastmail"
                      (nnimap-address "localhost")
                      (nnimap-stream network)
                      (nnimap-authenticator login)
                      (nnir-search-engine imap))) ;; Only this line!

> I think if nnir isn't properly documented, it should be removed from
> Emacs 23.

I'm not in favour of doing so...

I wonder if anybody uses nnir with some other search engine than imap.
If not, I'd vote for putting the imap stuff into nnimap.el and dropping
nnir altogether.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Changes for Emacs 23.1
@ 2009-07-06 18:52   ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-07-06 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>> I also noticed that the documentation for nnir is still a stub. Since
>> I've never used nnir, I don't feel competent enough to write something
>> up.
>
> I think at least the config for nnimap groups is so easy, that it could
> be added to the normal section about imap.
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>              '(nnimap "Fastmail"
>                       (nnimap-address "localhost")
>                       (nnimap-stream network)
>                       (nnimap-authenticator login)
>                       (nnir-search-engine imap))) ;; Only this line!

OK, maybe we could at least document the IMAP search features, since
these will probably most widely used. I just think we shouldn't have any
stubs in the Gnus docs which go with Emacs 23.

>> I think if nnir isn't properly documented, it should be removed from
>> Emacs 23.
>
> I'm not in favour of doing so...

Just to be clear: I'm talking about the Emacs 23.1 release branch. nnir
should of course stay in Gnus CVS and in the Emacs development trunk.

> I wonder if anybody uses nnir with some other search engine than imap.
> If not, I'd vote for putting the imap stuff into nnimap.el and dropping
> nnir altogether.

Yes, that would be an option for Gnus CVS, but IMO we cannot introduce
such a change for the Emacs 23.1 release.

-David

* Re: Changes for Emacs 23.1
@ 2009-07-06 19:16     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-07-06 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

Hi!

>> I think at least the config for nnimap groups is so easy, that it
>> could be added to the normal section about imap.
>>
>> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>              '(nnimap "Fastmail"
>>                       (nnimap-address "localhost")
>>                       (nnimap-stream network)
>>                       (nnimap-authenticator login)
>>                       (nnir-search-engine imap))) ;; Only this line!
>
> OK, maybe we could at least document the IMAP search features, since
> these will probably most widely used. I just think we shouldn't have
> any stubs in the Gnus docs which go with Emacs 23.

Thinking about it, maybe it's better not to do so and to remove nnir for
the 23.1 release.  The nnir imap search works great, but getting from a
search result to the original article doesn't work in all cases.  IMO,
searching without being able to reply with the right posting styles and
parameters is as bad as not being able to search at all.

I override the relevant nnir function:

(defun gnus-summary-nnir-goto-thread ()
  "Redefines the function from nnir.el."
  (interactive)
  (unless (eq 'nnir (car (gnus-find-method-for-group gnus-newsgroup-name)))
    (error "Can't execute this command unless in nnir group."))
  (let* ((cur (gnus-summary-article-number))
         (group (nnir-artlist-artitem-group nnir-artlist cur))
         (mid (mail-header 'message-id
                           (progn
                             (gnus-summary-select-article t)
                             (with-current-buffer gnus-article-buffer
                               (goto-char (point-min))
                               (mail-header-extract-no-properties))))))
    (gnus-activate-group group t)
    (condition-case nil
        (let ((articles 1)
              group-opened)
          (while (and (not group-opened)
                      ;; stop on integer overflows
                      (> articles 0))
            (setq group-opened (gnus-group-read-group articles nil group)
                  articles (if (< articles 16)
                               (1+ articles)
                             (* articles 2))))
          (if group-opened
              (gnus-summary-goto-article mid nil t)
            (message "Couldn't follow gnus link.  %s"
                     "The summary couldn't be opened.")))
      (quit (message "Couldn't follow gnus link.  %s"
                     "The linked group is empty.")))
    (gnus-summary-refer-thread)
    ;; TODO: Is there nothing like limiting to the current thread?
    ))

I think the original version doesn't manage to open a group, if the last
article was deleted.  So in my version, I extend the max article count
ad infimum.  (Yeah, I know, not very elegant, but at least it works.)

>>> I think if nnir isn't properly documented, it should be removed from
>>> Emacs 23.
>>
>> I'm not in favour of doing so...
>
> Just to be clear: I'm talking about the Emacs 23.1 release branch. nnir
> should of course stay in Gnus CVS and in the Emacs development trunk.

Ah, ok.  Then I agree. ;-)

>> I wonder if anybody uses nnir with some other search engine than
>> imap.  If not, I'd vote for putting the imap stuff into nnimap.el and
>> dropping nnir altogether.
>
> Yes, that would be an option for Gnus CVS, but IMO we cannot introduce
> such a change for the Emacs 23.1 release.

Sure.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Changes for Emacs 23.1
@ 2009-07-07  7:05   ` Justus-bulk
From: Justus-bulk @ 2009-07-07  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I wonder if anybody uses nnir with some other search engine than imap.

I do, with nnmaildir, for which I added support to nnir.el.  I briefly
used it with namazu, then contributed code to support swish++ and
refactored the code slightly for cleanup and to reduce code
duplication.  Most of my changes were merged into gnus/contrib on
cvs.gnus.org by April 2008.

Since then I have not followed this list closely.

> nnir should of course stay in Gnus CVS and in the Emacs development
> trunk.

I'm slightly confused. Where does Gnus live now, in its own CVS or in
the Emacs tree? Where is the current, official version of nnir.el?

I'm planning to move away from swish++ to something with proper
Unicode support, adapting nnir.el to make it work if necessary, but
have not gotten around to it yet.

Thanks,
Justus

* Re: Changes for Emacs 23.1
@ 2009-07-07  7:52     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-07-07  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Justus-bulk@Piater.name writes:
> I'm slightly confused. Where does Gnus live now, in its own CVS or in
> the Emacs tree?

Both.

-Miles

--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.

* Re: Changes for Emacs 23.1
@ 2009-07-07  8:43     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-07-07  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justus-bulk; +Cc: ding

Justus-bulk@Piater.name writes:

Hi Justus,

> I'm planning to move away from swish++ to something with proper
> Unicode support, adapting nnir.el to make it work if necessary, but
> have not gotten around to it yet.

Maibe mairix with nnmairix.el fits your needs better than nnir.  I used
it for a while, and it was good.  But then I discovered that my local
imap server (dovecot) can do full text search, too, so I dropped it.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Changes for Emacs 23.1
@ 2009-07-07  8:58       ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-07-07  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hi Justus,
>
>> I'm planning to move away from swish++ to something with proper
>> Unicode support, adapting nnir.el to make it work if necessary, but
>> have not gotten around to it yet.
>
> Maibe mairix with nnmairix.el fits your needs better than nnir.

Unfortunately, mairix does not have unicode support (it can only deal
with straight us-ascii).

-David

* Re: Changes for Emacs 23.1
@ 2009-07-08 18:53 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-07-08 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:48:03 +0200 David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> wrote:

DE> You've probably read on emacs-devel that Emacs 23 is targeted for Jul
DE> 29. As a last change regarding nnmairix, I'd like to include "^nnmairix"
DE> into gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups as a default. If someone is opposed
DE> to this (Ted?), please let me know.

This is a great idea, please go ahead.

Ted

* Adding "^nnmairix" to gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups (was: Changes for Emacs 23.1)
@ 2009-07-08 20:24 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-07-08 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, emacs-devel

On Mon, Jul 06 2009, David Engster wrote:

> You've probably read on emacs-devel that Emacs 23 is targeted for Jul
> 29. As a last change regarding nnmairix, I'd like to include "^nnmairix"
> into gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups as a default.

I'm not sure if this change is okay with the Emacs maintainers for
23.1.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Adding "^nnmairix" to gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups
@ 2009-07-08 22:50   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-07-08 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Mon, Jul 06 2009, David Engster wrote:
>
>> You've probably read on emacs-devel that Emacs 23 is targeted for Jul
>> 29. As a last change regarding nnmairix, I'd like to include "^nnmairix"
>> into gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups as a default.
>
> I'm not sure if this change is okay with the Emacs maintainers for
> 23.1.

Let's leave it for 23.2.

* Re: Adding "^nnmairix" to gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups
@ 2009-07-10  7:37     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-07-10  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

On Thu, Jul 09 2009, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> On Mon, Jul 06 2009, David Engster wrote:
>>> As a last change regarding nnmairix, I'd like to include
>>> "^nnmairix" into gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups as a default.
>> I'm not sure if this change is okay with the Emacs maintainers for
>> 23.1.
>
> Let's leave it for 23.2.

Are changes in the documentation are still possible?

If so, David could please mention this as a recommendation somewhere
under (info "(gnus)nnmairix"), please?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2009-07-10  8:48       ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-07-10  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

> On Thu, Jul 09 2009, Chong Yidong wrote:
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> I'm not sure if this change is okay with the Emacs maintainers for
>>> 23.1.
>>
>> Let's leave it for 23.2.
>
> Are changes in the documentation are still possible?
>
> If so, David could please mention this as a recommendation somewhere
> under (info "(gnus)nnmairix"), please?

It's already mentioned under (info "(gnus)nnmairix caveats") .

-David