* Mail gets split to archive groups
@ 2007-10-30 16:57 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-10-30 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

I've posted this to gmane.emacs.gnus.user before but didn't get any
answers.

My mail splitting for mail-sources is defined by:

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy
      nnmail-split-fancy
      '(| (any "tassilo.horn@gmx.de"     "mail.gmx")
          (any "tassilo.horn@freenet.de" "mail.freenet")
          "mail.misc"))

Normally this works good and pop3 mails are sorted into the groups

           nnml:mail.freenet
           nnml:mail.gmx
           nnml:mail.misc

I also use nnml-archive groups.

(setq gnus-message-archive-method
      '(nnml "archive"
             (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)
             (nnml-directory "~/News/archive")
             (nnml-active-file "~/News/archive/active")))

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((cond
         ((message-news-p)
          ;; News
          (concat "sent-messages-" (format-time-string "%Y")))
         ((message-mail-p)
          ;; Mail
          "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"))))

So my own news postings get archived in groups like

           nnml+archive:sent-messages-2006
           nnml+archive:sent-messages-2007

This works, too.

But sometimes when I check for new messages from my mail-sources it is
split into groups of the archive server and I get groups like:

           nnml+archive:mail.freenet
           nnml+archive:mail.gmx
           nnml+archive:mail.misc

I cannot see any difference between mails that are split into the normal
groups and those that are split into the same groups on the archive
server.

Any ideas?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Mail gets split to archive groups
@ 2007-10-30 17:51 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-30 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Oct 30 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

>            nnml:mail.freenet
[...]
>            nnml+archive:sent-messages-2007
[...]
>            nnml+archive:mail.freenet
[...]
> I cannot see any difference between mails that are split into the normal
> groups and those that are split into the same groups on the archive
> server.
>
> Any ideas?

Check if there's (nnml-get-new-mail nil) in the archive server
definition (`^' to enter the server buffer, then `e').

Just a wild guess: Maybe somewhere in the code there is a bug that
occurs here because the empty name of the mail method which matches
"archive":

ELISP> (string-match "" "archive")
0

Maybe you could add some debug checks (e.g. in `nnmail-get-new-mail'?)
depending on the server?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Mail gets split to archive groups
@ 2007-10-30 19:25   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-10-30 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Tue, Oct 30 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>
>>            nnml:mail.freenet
> [...]
>>            nnml+archive:sent-messages-2007
> [...]
>>            nnml+archive:mail.freenet
> [...]
>> I cannot see any difference between mails that are split into the normal
>> groups and those that are split into the same groups on the archive
>> server.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Check if there's (nnml-get-new-mail nil) in the archive server
> definition (`^' to enter the server buffer, then `e').

No, at least not explicitly and the default value is to be t.  So that
seems to be the culprit.

> Just a wild guess: Maybe somewhere in the code there is a bug that
> occurs here because the empty name of the mail method which matches
> "archive":
>
> ELISP> (string-match "" "archive")
> 0
>
> Maybe you could add some debug checks (e.g. in `nnmail-get-new-mail'?)
> depending on the server?

Uh, that's not really easy to grasp.  But if the problem persists with
`nnml-get-new-mail' set to nil for the archive server, I'll try to dig
into it.

Thanks a lot,
Tassilo