* Re: Prefering plain text over html parts in multipart messages
       [not found]     ` <v98x8td130.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2007-08-04 13:20       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-08-04 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: ding

Hi Reiner,

>> Strange "text/html" is in it by default, but I have at least one
>> article with both html and text part where the html part is shown as
>> default...
>
> This should not happen.  Could you debug it or send the article
> (private info removed) to ding as a gzipped attachment?

Sure. After investigating a bit further I found out that gnus displays
always the html part and omits the text part with the default values of
`mm-discouraged-alternatives' and `gnus-buttonized-mime-types'.

With

(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
      gnus-buttonized-mime-types  '("multipart/signed" "multipart/alternative"))

I get the buttons and the text part is displayed by default.

Here's an example multipart mail.

[-- Attachment #2: A multipart message where the html part is displayed by default --]

>> Anyway, this lead me to `gnus-buttonized-mime-types' which is a nice
>> feature.
> [...]
>> (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
>>       '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
>>       gnus-buttonized-mime-types
>>       '("multipart/signed" "multipart/alternative"))
>>
>> and the text part is displayed by default + mime buttons. Nice!
>
> I think this is more or less the example from (info
> "(emacs-mime)Display Customization"), isn't it?

Yes, at least the setting of `gnus-buttonized-mime-types'.

Bye,
Tassilo

--
      "DRM manages rights in the same way a jail manages freedom"

* Re: Prefering plain text over html parts in multipart messages
@ 2007-08-04 14:02         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-08-04 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Aug 04 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> Strange "text/html" is in it

[ mm-discouraged-alternatives ]

>>> by default, but I have at least one article with both html and
>>> text part where the html part is shown as default...
>>
>> This should not happen.  Could you debug it or send the article
>> (private info removed) to ding as a gzipped attachment?
>
> Sure. After investigating a bit further I found out that gnus displays
> always the html part and omits the text part with the default values of
> `mm-discouraged-alternatives' and `gnus-buttonized-mime-types'.

I checked the default of `mm-discouraged-alternatives':

$ grep defcu.*mm-discouraged-alternatives {v5-10,No}/lisp/mm-decode.el
v5-10/lisp/mm-decode.el:(defcustom mm-discouraged-alternatives nil
No/lisp/mm-decode.el:(defcustom mm-discouraged-alternatives nil

So in fact "text/html" is _not_ included in the default value, so Gnus
behaves as expected.  Or did I miss something?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Prefering plain text over html parts in multipart messages
@ 2007-08-04 14:54           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-08-04 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Reiner,

> $ grep defcu.*mm-discouraged-alternatives {v5-10,No}/lisp/mm-decode.el
> v5-10/lisp/mm-decode.el:(defcustom mm-discouraged-alternatives nil
> No/lisp/mm-decode.el:(defcustom mm-discouraged-alternatives nil
>
> So in fact "text/html" is _not_ included in the default value, so Gnus
> behaves as expected.  Or did I miss something?

Autsch! The line

        ("text/html" "text/richtext")

in the variable's doc string was so eye-catching that I took it for its
value.  Sorry for the buzz.

Bye,
Tassilo