* How to change the default ~/Mail and ~/News dirs with their subdirs?
@ 2005-09-02 18:23 Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2005-09-02 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to change the gnus default `~/Mail' and '~/News' directories,
together with all their subdirectories:
'~/Mail/drafts', '~/Mail/queue', '~/Mail/mail/misc',
'~/News/agent', '~/News/lib' etcetera,
into other dirs and subdirs at my pleasure.
Can anyone suggest how? What variables shall I customize?
I couldn't work it out from the Gnus Manual.

Thanks in advance for any hint,
Rodolfo

* Re: How to change the default ~/Mail and ~/News dirs with their subdirs?
@ 2005-09-03 19:14 romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-09-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: asjo

I have:
Gnus version 5.11, included in Emacs CVS 21.3.50.1 of 2005-03-13.

Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> Just out of curiosity: Why?

Because I want to decide where to put my stuff, and besides:
I'm totally new to the 'newrseaderly fashion' gnus is conceived,
and I still haven't even well understood what a newsreader actually is.
I come from MS Outlook world, only know about sending and receiving
e-mails from internet and am just now having a look at gnus,
that for me is very very strange (although interesting).
So I don't understand the meaning of subdirectories such as 'agent',
'lib', 'queue', and so on. Now, as beginner, I only need three directories:
received-mail, sent-mail and drafts, included under a superdirectory 'mail'.
Nothing more, nothing less. In future, when I've learned more about
using gnus, and will be able to understand the meaning of the other dirs,
I will maybe be using them.
At the moment I'm not actually even using gnus, I'm preparing things in order
to migrate from MS Outlook to Gnus.

Rodolfo:

> Can anyone suggest how? What variables shall I customize? I couldn't
> work it out from the Gnus Manual.

Adam:

> How about:
>
> ~/Mail:
>
> ,----[ C-h v message-directory RET ]

> [...]
>
> ~/News:
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-directory RET ]
>
> [...]
>
> (and your 'gnus-message-archive-method'). Note: I haven't tried this,
> so I don't know how much more, if anything, you need to set.

Thanks indeed for your precious help (and also thanks to Katsumi Yamaoka for his help
about 'gnus-message-archive-method' customization).
I followed your indications, then performed searches in Gnus Manual from info buffer.

Adam:

> Where in the manual did you look? I just searched for '~/Mail' and
> '~/News'...

I have a paper copy of Gnus Manual, and was searching things through its index,
which is quite poor. I'd never used the info buffer before.

Now the situation is the following:
the complete tree of the directories that Gnus creates by default under the '~/' directory
is something like:

   ~/

    /Mail
    |   |
    |   |
    |   /drafts
    |   |
    |   |
    |   /mail
    |       |
    |       |
    |       /misc

    /News

	/agent
	|    |
	|    |
	|    /lib

	/drafts

	      /drafts

	      /queue

. Now, I wanted to change the gnus default directories '~/Mail' and '~/News',
together with all their subdirs, into other dirs and subdirs at my pleasure.
To do that, I had to customize the 'message-directory' and 'gnus-directory',
but not only. I customized the following variables altogether
(maybe other ones have to be customized as well):

variable name	       	     	     gnus default value
-------------			     ------------------

message-directory		     ~/Mail
gnus-directory			     ~/News
nnml-directory			     ~/Mail
nnml-active-file		     ~/Mail/active
nnml-newsgroups-file		     ~/Mail/newsgroups
nndraft-directory		     ~/News/drafts
gnus-message-archive-method	     (nnfolder "archive"
               			               (nnfolder-directory   "~/Mail/archive")
               				       (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
               				       (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
               				       (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))
nnfolder-directory		     ~/Mail/archive
nnfolder-active-file		     ~/Mail/archive/active

, the latter two included in the 'gnus-message-archive-method' variable setting.
Note that what is said in §5.5 of Gnus Manual about the default value of
'gnus-message-archive-method' is not according to what is said in §6.3.13.10 about
the default values of 'nnfolder-directory' and 'nnfolder-active-file'.

'message-directory' and 'gnus-directory' have to be set in the ~/.emacs file,
the other ones in the ~/.gnus.el file.

After setting all those variables, the ~/Mail and ~/News dirctories didn't
exist any more and the above tree became:

   ~/

    /mail

	/agent
	|    |
	|    |
	|    |
	|    /lib

	/drafts

	/queue

	/received-mail

	/sent-mail

. Now, I want to get rid of the subdirs 'agent', 'agent/lib' and 'queue'.
Can anyone suggest how? I searched through the info buffer
but couldn't work the problem out.

Thanks,
Rodolfo

Libero Flat, sempre a 4 Mega a 19,95 euro al mese!
Abbonati subito su http://www.libero.it

* Re: How to change the default ~/Mail and ~/News dirs with their subdirs?
@ 2005-09-03 22:18 romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-09-03 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: asjo

It seems that I managed to eliminate the 'agent', 'agent/lib' and 'queue'
subdirs from the tree I reported in my previous message. To achieve that,
I just putting in  ~/.gnus.el the line:

(setq gnus-agent nil)

. But now, after receiving mail, another two dirs were created
by gnus: 'mail' and 'mail/misc'. In fact, now my tree is the following:

   ~/

    /mail

	/agent
	|    |
	|    |
	|    |
	|    /lib

	/drafts

	/queue

	/received-mail
	|	     |
	|	     |
	|	     |
	|	     /mail
	|		 |
	|		 |
	|		 |
	|		 /misc

	/sent-mail

. Any idea of how to eliminate 'mail' and 'mail/misc'?
I couldn't find an answer in the Manual.

Adam, what you say is quite right; but just I like getting into the internal
working. And, after all, I don't want to store mail in a 'mail/misc'
subdir of a 'mail' dir unless it is strictly necessary:
it's just what I'd like to work out: I imagine it isn't.
Yes, I can't know whether the programme, Gnus, needs those
directories that I don't know the meaning of yet, but it's just what
I'd like to work out, even at the beginning.

> I would expect a beginner to customize *as little as possible* until
> further understanding is achieved...?

That's right in some way, and in fact I want to customize as little
as possible. But just for that I need to have a clean start:
all those subdirs puzzle me: this is my little as possible.

Cheers, thanks,

@ 2005-09-03 22:23 romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-09-03 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: asjo

.. I forgot: this might be important:
I put in ~/.gnus.el the following:

(setq gnus-select-method  '(nnml "received-mail"
				 (nnml-directory "~/mail/received-mail")
))