* Quoted material manipulation commands
@ 2005-08-02 18:15 Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2005-08-02 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

A couple of other things noticed when upgrading to No Gnus....

C-c C-z now trims one fewer blank line.  This is driving me nuts, as it's
destroying my finger memory.  Is there a way to get back to the previous
behavior, or do I need to revert back to my own private implementation of
that feature?

M-RET doesn't appear to reformat the new paragraph any more.  Did I break
something, or was that feature removed?

Also, it no longer correctly handles inserting the whitespace for quoted
text in the form:

>[space][tab]some text some more text
>[space][tab]some text some more text

If I move into the middle of such a paragraph and press M-RET, the first
line of the newly created paragraph after the point starts with just > and
a space, no tab, and the paragraph isn't refilled.

This makes it really difficult to deal with the messages of one of my
regular correspondants.

Thanks in advance for any help!

* Re: Quoted material manipulation commands
@ 2005-08-03 20:30 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2005-08-03 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> M-RET doesn't appear to reformat the new paragraph any more.  Did I break
> something, or was that feature removed?

It's also broken for me.

This patch seems to fix it, although I didn't really look into which
change caused it.  Can someone tell?

diff -c /Users/harder/gnus/lisp/message.el /Users/harder/cvsgnus/lisp/message.el
*** /Users/harder/gnus/lisp/message.el	Sun Jul 24 20:31:17 2005
--- /Users/harder/cvsgnus/lisp/message.el	Wed Aug  3 22:25:04 2005
***************
*** 2894,2900 ****
    "Insert four newlines, and then reformat if inside quoted text.
  Prefix arg means justify as well."
    (interactive (list (if current-prefix-arg 'full)))
!   (let (quoted point beg end leading-space bolp)
      (setq point (point))
      (beginning-of-line)
      (setq beg (point))
--- 2894,2900 ----
    "Insert four newlines, and then reformat if inside quoted text.
  Prefix arg means justify as well."
    (interactive (list (if current-prefix-arg 'full)))
!   (let (quoted point beg end leading-space bolp fill-paragraph-function)
      (setq point (point))
      (beginning-of-line)
      (setq beg (point))

Diff finished.  Wed Aug  3 22:26:02 2005

* Re: Quoted material manipulation commands
@ 2005-08-03 20:44 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2005-08-03 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> C-c C-z now trims one fewer blank line.  This is driving me nuts, as it's
> destroying my finger memory.  Is there a way to get back to the previous
> behavior, or do I need to revert back to my own private implementation of
> that feature?

Does this work the way you want?

diff -c /Users/harder/gnus/lisp/message.el /Users/harder/cvsgnus/lisp/message.el
*** /Users/harder/gnus/lisp/message.el	Sun Jul 24 20:31:17 2005
--- /Users/harder/cvsgnus/lisp/message.el	Wed Aug  3 22:41:50 2005
***************
*** 2888,2894 ****
  	    (end-of-line -1)))
  	(unless (= point (point))
  	  (kill-region point (point))
! 	  (insert "\n"))))))

  (defun message-newline-and-reformat (&optional arg not-break)
    "Insert four newlines, and then reformat if inside quoted text.
--- 2888,2895 ----
  	    (end-of-line -1)))
  	(unless (= point (point))
  	  (kill-region point (point))
! 	  (unless (bol)
! 	    (insert "\n")))))))

  (defun message-newline-and-reformat (&optional arg not-break)
    "Insert four newlines, and then reformat if inside quoted text.

Diff finished.  Wed Aug  3 22:42:30 2005

* Re: Quoted material manipulation commands
@ 2005-08-10  2:39   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2005-08-10  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@phys.au.dk> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

>> C-c C-z now trims one fewer blank line.  This is driving me nuts, as
>> it's destroying my finger memory.  Is there a way to get back to the
>> previous behavior, or do I need to revert back to my own private
>> implementation of that feature?

> Does this work the way you want?

Yes, that does exactly what I want.  Thank you!  I see it's also already
been committed.

* Re: Quoted material manipulation commands
@ 2005-08-10  2:45   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2005-08-10  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@phys.au.dk> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

>> M-RET doesn't appear to reformat the new paragraph any more.  Did I
>> break something, or was that feature removed?

> It's also broken for me.

> This patch seems to fix it, although I didn't really look into which
> change caused it.  Can someone tell?

I'm not sure what change caused the problem, but I can confirm that this
fix also solves all of my problems, including handling the indentation
style of my correspondant.

Thank you!