* gnus operation unsplit windows
@ 2005-03-24  9:14 walter.franzini-M4bTUdDEyImonA0d6jMUrA
From: walter.franzini-M4bTUdDEyImonA0d6jMUrA @ 2005-03-24  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running gnus-5.10.6 on Debian Sarge and I'm trying to work with
2 windows, 1 for gnus and 1 for other stuff.

From the Summary buffer I split the screen with C-x 2, then hitting
M-g make the second window disappear.  This also happen from the group
buffer.

Is this behavior correct?  Can gnus be customized to behave as I'd
like?

Thanks.

walter

* Re: gnus operation unsplit windows
@ 2005-03-24 16:52 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-03-24 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

walter.franzini@sys-net.it writes:

> I'm running gnus-5.10.6 on Debian Sarge and I'm trying to work with
> 2 windows, 1 for gnus and 1 for other stuff.
>
>>From the Summary buffer I split the screen with C-x 2, then hitting
> M-g make the second window disappear.  This also happen from the group
> buffer.
>
> Is this behavior correct?

Gnus tends to like to believe that it controls the entire frame it's
running in, so if you select a group from a half-frame group buffer
you'll typically wind up in a full-frame summary buffer.

> Can gnus be customized to behave as I'd like?

Maybe...see `gnus-add-configuration' and friends.  You could possibly
make this work if you were sure that you always wanted Gnus to use
half a frame.  You might try making two frames instead; and once
you've gone that far, you might be happier with two Emacsen so that
one isn't blocking on the other's fetching mail.  (Eight Megabytes,
even twice, doesn't add up to Constantly Swapping on today's hardware;
Emacs just hasn't kept up with system memory growth.  Very sad.)

  --dzm

* Re: gnus operation unsplit windows
@ 2005-03-25  1:00 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-03-25  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

walter.franzini@sys-net.it writes:

> From the Summary buffer I split the screen with C-x 2, then hitting
> M-g make the second window disappear. This also happen from the
> group buffer.
>
> Is this behavior correct? Can gnus be customized to behave as I'd
> like?

      If `gnus-use-full-window' non-`nil', Gnus will delete all other
      windows and occupy the entire Emacs screen by itself. It is `t'
      by default.

      Setting this variable to `nil' kinda works, but there are
      glitches. Use at your own peril.

(info "(gnus)Window Layout")

--
Johan Bockgård