Hello Gnus, This is my first post to this list, so please forgive me if i break all the written and unwritten rules. [and my first posting hasn't showed up after 16h, so this is potentially a double-post] I recently ran into an issue where a French speaker i was communicating with had "Re : ..." as their reply subject prefix (note the leading space before the colon). This quickly ended up with us bouncing emails around with such lovely subject lines as "Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: ...", et cetera, ad infinitum. This phenomenon, of surrounding certain punctuation marks with extra spaces, turns out to be A Thing™ in French writing [0]. I discovered that by making a very small modification to the term `message-subject-re-regexp`, the problem was solved for me, locally (it's in my configuration files ATM). But since this might be something that's useful to others, i threw a patch together, attached. Of course, i could understand if such cultural (non-anglophone?) cruft were undesirable in the Gnus code base, but perhaps others might benefit from this. If not, i am sorry for wasting your collective time. If the fix is desirable yet wrong in some other way, rest assured that you all have my deepest apologies, i don't mean to step on anyone's toes. Thank you and have a good day, p. 0.