* gmail: math Content-Type: multipart/related; is not displayed in gnus but in thunderbird
@ 2014-10-14  9:21 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-10-14  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

Gmail offers a possiblity to send latex constructs as png (as does
org-preview-latex-fragment' via org-mime-htmlize.

While the org-mode approach can be displayed correctly in gnus, in
thunderbird  and in gmails webinterface, it is not true the other way
around.

LaTeX math png generated by gmail are correctly displayed in thunderbird
but in gnus I see:

1. Energy estimates. Let [image: U(w, v^a)],

I tried to change

 gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed
 gnus-mime-display-multipart-as-mixed

from nil to t

But it does not work.
I used C-d to enter in the different mime parts, but it does not work neigher.

Anybody has an idea?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: gmail: math Content-Type: multipart/related; is not displayed in gnus but in thunderbird
@ 2014-10-14 10:39 ` Adam Sjøgren
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-10-14 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> but in gnus I see:

> 1. Energy estimates. Let [image: U(w, v^a)],

What do you have mm-inline-override-types set to?

I also have this in my ~/.gnus, but I guess that is only if you use w3m:

    ; Make CID stuff work:
    (setq mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp nil
          w3m-default-display-inline-images t)

As usual it is easier to come up with ideas if you give an example that
we can look at easily...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "If this is not what you expected, please alter your         Adam Sjøgren
  expectations."                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: gmail: math Content-Type: multipart/related; is not displayed in gnus but in thunderbird
@ 2014-10-14 12:26   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-10-14 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Adam" == Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> But in gnus I see:

   >> 1. Energy estimates. Let [image: U(w, v^a)],

   > What do you have mm-inline-override-types set to?

Thanks for your answer.
It is set to nil.

   > I also have this in my ~/.gnus, but I guess that is only if you use w3m:

   >     ; Make CID stuff work:
   >     (setq mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp nil
   >           w3m-default-display-inline-images t)

   > As usual it is easier to come up with ideas if you give an example that
   > we can look at easily...

Yes you are right. I thought the person I am in contact with is using
http://alexeev.org/gmailtex.html#installation
but I installed the program myself and sent me a message and can see it
just fine in gnus. So I suspect it is something else. I save the message
and tried to analyse it myself but don't see much. So I will try to
obtain an example which can me analysed better.

Uwe

* Re: gmail: math Content-Type: multipart/related; is not displayed in gnus but in thunderbird
@ 2014-10-14 12:53   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-10-14 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Adam" == Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

   > As usual it is easier to come up with ideas if you give an example that
   > we can look at easily...

So I now know that the messages are generated by Gmail Tex and it seems
withhttp://latex.codecogs.com/   but in chrome
not in firefox, I forward a test message below and hope this help to
analyse the problem, again I see the png in thunderbird but not in gnus

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3591 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 37 bytes --]

 Test message

[image: \int f(x)dx]

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 413 bytes --]

* Re: gmail: math Content-Type: multipart/related; is not displayed in gnus but in thunderbird
@ 2014-10-15  7:38   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-10-15  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday, 14 Oct 2014 at 12:39, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

[...]

> I also have this in my ~/.gnus, but I guess that is only if you use w3m:
>
>     ; Make CID stuff work:
>     (setq mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp nil

Adam,

why change this from the default cid: based regex?  cid: should be
sufficient for this use case and is much safer than nil.  Just curious.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.0.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-40d08c9

* Re: gmail: math Content-Type: multipart/related; is not displayed in gnus but in thunderbird
@ 2014-10-15  8:08     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-10-15  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Tuesday, 14 Oct 2014 at 12:39, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> [...]

>> I also have this in my ~/.gnus, but I guess that is only if you use w3m:

>>     ; Make CID stuff work:
>>     (setq mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp nil

> why change this from the default cid: based regex?  cid: should be
> sufficient for this use case and is much safer than nil.  Just curious.

Maybe the default was different when I added this? I may have just
copy/pasted what I read somewhere...

So: No good reason.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It's also now officially a GNU project, so it's not         Adam Sjøgren
  going anywhere any time soon."                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: gmail: math Content-Type: multipart/related; is not displayed in gnus but in thunderbird
@ 2014-10-22  7:35     ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-10-22  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello Uwe,

FWIW, for me gnus renders the image just fine. Maybe this has to do with
how you handle html mail? I use shr as an html mail renderer. When I
switch from html to plain/text I see the same as you do.

On 2014-10-14 14:53 Uwe Brauer wrote:
> From: Lavi Karp <karp@braude.ac.il>
> Subject: test
> To: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:47:58 +0300 (1 week, 18 hours, 44 minutes ago)
>
> Test message
>
> \int f(x)dx
>

> ----------

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: gmail: math Content-Type: multipart/related; is not displayed in gnus but in thunderbird
@ 2014-10-23 18:06       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-10-23 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Alexander" == Alexander Baier <alexander.baier@mailbox.org> writes:

   > Hello Uwe,
   > FWIW, for me gnus renders the image just fine. Maybe this has to do with
   > how you handle html mail? I use shr as an html mail renderer. When I
   > switch from html to plain/text I see the same as you do.

As I can see from your header you are using GNU Emacs 24, right? There
indeed everything works as expected, it is Xemacs 21.5.33 etc where it
fails.

However I found an (ugly) work around:

When I set

mm-text-html-renderer form

mm-text-html-renderer 'gnus-w3m
mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m

The image is displayed but, as I must confess, with a resolution much
inferior to the one offered by GNU Emacs and
the
mm-text-html-renderer 'gnus-w3m
setting.

Uwe