From: Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@sergiodj.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: epg + pinentry + gnus
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 00:11:17 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi there,

I know this is not specific to Gnus, but I figured I'd try sending this
question here and see how it goes.

I use EasyPG (with gpg-agent) + Gnus, like many others, I believe.
However, there's one thing that I can't do: make Gnus (or epg, for that
matter) prompt me only once for the passphrase and then make gpg-agent
cache it.  What happens instead is that whenever I open an encrypted
message, I see the passphrase prompt in the minibuffer.

Well, TBH I actually *managed* to solve this problem, by telling
gpg-agent to use pinentry-gtk instead, which opens this fancy window
with the same passphrase prompt in it.  However, this obviously doesn't
work (out of the box) when I'm using Emacs over SSH (which is *a lot*
for me).

I managed to find a few workarounds, like

  <http://www.enigmacurry.com/2009/01/14/extending-emacs-with-advice/>

And also a few threads discussing a very similar problem:

  <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-09/msg00590.html>

But before I decide to go with the (defadvice) thing, I decided to ask
here: do you guys have this same problem, and if so, how do you
workaround it?

Thanks,

--
Sergio