* gnus calling garbage collection?
@ 2011-06-24 10:33 lee
From: lee @ 2011-06-24 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

is gnus calling the garbage collection function of emacs for every
message it writes when checking for new news? Trying to make it faster,
I have set

(setq gc-cons-threshold (* 4 1024 1024))
(setq garbage-collection-messages t)

in ~/.emacs, and that causes the display about messages written in the
echo area to flicker. The other message flickers too fast to read it and
doesn't show up in the *Messages* buffer, so I disabled the garbage
collection messages to verify, and the flickering stopped.

If gnus does call the garbage collection for every message it writes, is
there a way to disable this? It's already slow enough, and I guess it
would be a little faster without collecting garbage for every message
written.