* gnus-article-update-date-headers
@ 2011-02-21 15:10 Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2011-02-21 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I just upgraded, and like many others, didn't like the constantly
updating date header.  It took me a while to figure out how to slow it
down.  Suggestions:

1) The info file doesn't say what gnus-article-update-date-headers can
be set to besides nil.  It should say that it can also be a number of
seconds.  The variable's documentation also doesn't say that it is
measured in seconds.

2) After changing this variable, there is no change to the behaviour
unless you restart emacs or do something else to restart the timer.  The
variable's docs and the info file should say what to do.

3) Make the default 60 or 300.  There have been *lots* of people who
wrote to say they don't like the default, and I doubt anyone would
feel very strongly that it must be updated quickly.

Dan

* Re: gnus-article-update-date-headers
@ 2011-02-21 23:46 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-21 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> 1) The info file doesn't say what gnus-article-update-date-headers can
> be set to besides nil.  It should say that it can also be a number of
> seconds.  The variable's documentation also doesn't say that it is
> measured in seconds.

Fixed now.

> 2) After changing this variable, there is no change to the behaviour
> unless you restart emacs or do something else to restart the timer.  The
> variable's docs and the info file should say what to do.

If you flip it to nil, it'll stop the next time you enter a group, but,
yes, changing the number doesn't do much.  Perhaps the timer should just
be restarted upon each group entry.  I've now done this.

> 3) Make the default 60 or 300.  There have been *lots* of people who
> wrote to say they don't like the default, and I doubt anyone would
> feel very strongly that it must be updated quickly.

Having it updated often is a good way to have any bugs (and there have
been a lot) resulting from the update be tickled more often, so that
it's possible to reproduce and fix.

Once all the problems have been ironed out, we can consider lowering the
update rate.