* Cc header to myself when following up to mails in my INBOX
@ 2010-11-08 12:51 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-11-08 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

I'm used to hitting `f' or `F' when replying to a mail on one of my IMAP
accounts.  But when I follow up to a mail addressed to myself in
nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX, there's a Cc header to myself inserted, and I
cannot figure out why.

Here's an example followup to my dad:

To: Winfrid Horn <winfrid.horn@gmx.de>
Cc: Tassilo Horn <thorn@fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: Laserjet M 1005 in Egglfing
Gcc: nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX
From: Tassilo Horn <thorn@fastmail.fm>

What could be the cause of that Cc header?  The message headers of the
mail I'm following up to are those:

From: Winfrid Horn <winfrid.horn@gmx.de>
Subject: Laserjet M 1005 in Egglfing
To: Tassilo Horn <thorn@fastmail.fm>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 15:21:34 +0100

AFAIKT, nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX is the only group where Ccs to myself are
generated.

Here are my posting styles and gnus parameter definitions.

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      `((".*"
         (address "thorn@fastmail.fm"))

        (,(rx (or "nntp+Eclipse"
		  "infko."
		  "nnimap+Uni"))
         (address "horn@uni-koblenz.de")
         (signature th-gnus-uni-signature))

        (,(rx (or (and (opt "de.") (or "comp." "comm.software."))
                  "gnu."
                  "nntp+Gmane:"
		  "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.FSF"
		  "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists."))
         (address "tassilo@member.fsf.org"))

        (,(rx "gmane.comp.printing.ghostscript.")
         ;; Posting requires whitelist keyword "artifex" spelled backwards.
         ("X-Fnord" "xefitra"))))

(setq gnus-parameters
      `(
        (,(rx (or "emacs" "gnus"))
         (gnus-button-emacs-level 10))

	(,(rx "nnimap+")
	 (gnus-use-scoring nil)
	 (gcc-self . t))

	(,(rx "nnimap+Uni:ml/")
	 (gcc-self . "nnimap+Uni:Sent"))

	(,(rx "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.")
	 (gcc-self . "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items")
	 (gnus-use-scoring t))))

Any ideas how I can get rid of that self-Cc-ing in that group?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Cc header to myself when following up to mails in my INBOX
@ 2010-11-08 13:31 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-11-08 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 13:51:03 +0100, Tassilo wrote:

> But when I follow up to a mail addressed to myself in
> nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX, there's a Cc header to myself inserted, and I
> cannot figure out why.

Does it help to configure the message-dont-reply-to-names variable?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly."       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Cc header to myself when following up to mails in my INBOX
@ 2010-11-08 13:52   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-11-08 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> But when I follow up to a mail addressed to myself in
>> nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX, there's a Cc header to myself inserted, and I
>> cannot figure out why.
>
> Does it help to configure the message-dont-reply-to-names variable?

Yes, it does.  But I really wonder why that is neccessary for my
nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX, but not for other groups (including
nnimap+Uni:INBOX)...

Thanks for the pointer!

@ 2010-11-08 14:02     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-11-08 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Yes, it does.  But I really wonder why that is neccessary for my
> nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX, but not for other groups (including
> nnimap+Uni:INBOX)...

How do you set the sender address message.el should use?

* Re: Cc header to myself when following up to mails in my INBOX
@ 2010-11-08 14:06       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-11-08 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

Hi!

>> Yes, it does.  But I really wonder why that is neccessary for my
>> nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX, but not for other groups (including
>> nnimap+Uni:INBOX)...
>
> How do you set the sender address message.el should use?

That's part of my posting styles:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      `((".*"

@ 2010-11-08 18:21         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-11-08 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
> Hi!

>>> Yes, it does.  But I really wonder why that is neccessary for my
>>> nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX, but not for other groups (including
>>> nnimap+Uni:INBOX)...
>>
>> How do you set the sender address message.el should use?

> That's part of my posting styles:

Similar to my setup.  And I just tested.  It works for me with my
default address, but not with the address matching a particular folder.

Ie. the same behaviour you see.

Hm... let me qualify that.  In a test mail on my gmail folder that had
my gmail address and one of my other addresses `f' picked the gmail
address both for To and From.

But in an email in the gmail folder that was sent to me and one other,
`f' made a response that was To the sender and had the other address in
Cc, and my gmail address in From.

So there it seemed to work.

I guess there are some heuristics at work here...? :-)